Jumbuck Charcoal review

• Official Post

After trying the bag of Jumbuck charcoal from Bunnings, I won't be buying it again. Just too many bits of flat hardwood. So I got another bag of Heat Beads lump which I've had before. Not too bad at $42 for 20kg.

Later Edit: Opps, I posted this in the wrong forum :doh: So I've now moved it here.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• After trying the bag of Jumbuck charcoal from Bunnings, I won't be buying it again. Just too many bits of flat hardwood.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on the Jumbuck stuff. I tried a bag as I only needed a small bit amount to tie me through until I got it from my usual supplier and it was rubbish. Only thing I found it good for was starting more charcoal as it got hot quick.

Tried to cook a roast chook with it on the weber and both baskets were basically empty after 90 minutes. Thankfully the roast was done but typically i have 3/4 of a basket left on each side.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Official Post

The problem I see with it the shape. It's basically hardwood planks turned in to charcoal and it's almost impossible to get decent airflow between each piece.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Im happy to mix and match the Jumbuck with the Heatbeads in the primo, not all of one particular shape. I was always wondering what the hate was for the Jumbuck - but I get it now. My philosophy is, if it is black it burns. I have never had issues with not enough airflow, but totally get it, as I was avoiding the concerns by mixing it in together.

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

• Official Post

Mixing it with something to let the air get through would help and it's sort of what I was doing just to get rid of it. If it was substantially cheaper then maybe I'd look at it again but it's not so I can't see any reason to buy it unless it's the only option in your area.

I'm heading down to Aussie BBQ Smoke to get another few bags of Red gum (or maybe Gidgee or Iron bark ?) lump charcoal shortly.

At $40/20kg bag pick up ($45 Gidgee or Iron Bark) , it's good value and great charcoal. Red Gum comes down to $35/bag for 10 or more so if anyone in Melbourne wants some, let me know and we might be able to get to 10.

• I've bought two bags on special a while back. Never again.

It is the least dense and most ashy charcoal I've ever used. As pointed out by Steman it burns quickly. I've only used it in my Cyprus grill so far and couldn't believe how much of it I had to use for a fairly short cook.

Looking forward to running out.

• Official Post

Agree there Chris, I got a bag of Heat Beads lump yesterday.

• I’ll 3rd that, heat beads is good

Jumbuck is rubbish IMO

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I have actually been using the Chargriller Lump recently and really like it. Nice big logs for the XL and it burns well.

Bit of a review here.

Jimmy70
    January 6, 2021 at 6:50 PM

I generally use this or Firebrand.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Just picked some up after my local Bunnings ran out of the 20 kg heat beads 🙃. The reviews are correct - very fast to light but that’s about it. Bunnings reviews are correct - The shapes make it look likes it’s been manufactured from timbre floorboards. Would not recommend - probably use the rest up in the hibachi.

Weber Kettle, WSM (14.5"), PBC

• Was just at my local Big Red Hammer to get some hardware to reinforce my WFH desk (they didn’t have what I needed, despite what their website said…) so I headed to the BBQ isle for some ‘essentials’. Noticed they had lots of stock of Heat Beads and Matador lump but NO Jumbuck at all.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• Steman you said you’ve used lump in your Weber. Which type of Weber?

Was thinking of trying some Heat Beads lump in my WSM, but not sure how it’ll go?

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• I use it in a standard Webber - works fine

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• matty mostly the smaller bits .

Big bits I keep for the primo.

Never enough BBQ

• matty lump will work fine in your WSM, I use it in my Pro Q with great results.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!