Jumbuck Charcoal review

• Small Bits of lump In The Webber for veggies tonight

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• Thanks folks. Dumb question from someone whose only ever used heat beads in my Weber Smoky Mountain; but what difference should I expect? Will charcoal add flavour? More smoke? A little of both?

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• matty like you said maybe a little bit of both, heats up a lot quicker, burns a bit quicker. I really don’t notice that much difference to be honest.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I don't think charcoal adds much flavour at all except you do get that slight cook on a fire taste. Like Bruckster said, I couldn't tell whether you'd cooked on lump charcoal or heat beads.

Lump is easier to light.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• don't think charcoal adds much flavour at all except you do get that slight cook on a fire taste.

So do you also add flavour wood chunks like you do when smoking with heatbeads?

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• Yep mate, just add as many as you usually do to suit your personal preference.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Correct. Adding wood chunks or chips works with both charcaol and heat beads.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Grabbed a 20Kg bag of HeatBeads Charcoal. Some good size lumps in there as well as some smaller bits. My first time using charcoal and was impressed. Tested on the Everdure Cube (first use of that too). Charcoal was very easy to light compared to the original HeatBeads briquettes and hotter burning too.

I will give the charcoal a go in the WSM next weekend and might try using the WSM as a charcoal grill as well.

• I bought jumbuck the first time, because it seemed to be cheap. My wife kept complaining about a harsh smoke taste even in a seared steak. I wasn't adding any chips or whatever for smoke.

I bought the matador next and she reckoned it was better. I can't say I noticed the taste difference myself but I did think the jumbuck smoke while lighting it was a bit acrid.

I've tried a few different ones since them and they are better but at $4/kg... I keep going back to the matador stuff because of the price. I've been meaning to search out an alternative for a while now.

• Bduza not sure where you live but try just the heat beads brand of lumb charcoal- under 50 bucks at bummings ,black Grey 20kg bag.

If not try find a local dealer who sells firebrand , mallee or gidgee coal. It is normally around the 2-4 dollar a KG mark when I get it.

Good luck and move away from the jumbuck crap if ya can .

Just my opinion anyway

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!