Sous vide - about time I buy one

• Hi All,

I’m going to pull the trigger and by a sous vide.

Any recommendations .. haven’t got wads of cash due to being on COVID payments and not working for 2 weeks but something middle of the road .

Thanks

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• I have the Anova and highly recommend.

The app it comes with is packed with recipes and temps/times makes it a handy thing.

Of course you can just google that stuff and buy any wand but my Anova is 5 years old now and still works perfect. Would recommend

• I have an Anova and a cheaper one I bought on eBay. It works as well as the Anova does.

I'd be tempted to buyt this one.....

Kogan Sous Vide $80

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Just be careful if you buy the Anova online. The Boss bought one that was advertised for $90 only to find out after the fact that was $90 USD not AUD :doh: look at the website carefully when buying.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Been checking a few out - do you really need the wifi option?

Thinking about the InkBird 200 for about $100 bucks

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Jumbuck pizza oven, 5 Burner beefmaster

• I rarely even pair mine with the wifi. Sous vide isnt exactly action packed cooking ;)

I had a look on ebay and theres a few around the $100 mark. Havnt used a inkbird but if the reviews are sound why not.

• My Anova has bluetooth but I rarely use it. Like Geoffo said, it's not action packed or even an exact science where timing matters.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Yeah I figured the wifi thing is just a gimmick,

Might be useful If I was out and had to tell

someone to chuck it in a pan with food but that’s about it .

Never enough BBQ

• I’ve have ordered the InkBird .👍🏼

Never enough BBQ

• So it arrived today …

Any thoughts on first cook?

Maybe just steaks ?

Never enough BBQ

• Chicken fillets work well. Steak as long as you can give it a good quick sear.

Have you checked out this site: https://www.chefsteps.com/sous-vide

and also some good sous vide cooking: https://www.youtube.com/c/SousVideEverything

• You could try the 63 degree eggs? They do have mixed reviews on here, but it's only an hour cook time so a pretty cook for sous vide.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I've given up on the sv eggs. I can't get the balance right between the white and the yolk.

• I've given up on the sv eggs. I can't get the balance right between the white and the yolk.

It needs to be cracked into your hand, with fingers slightly apart, and the runny stuff needs to go.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• It needs to be cracked into your hand, with fingers slightly apart, and the runny stuff needs to go.

Eggs done at 63 for an hour, white maybe slightly too runny , but damn good!

Never enough BBQ

• yummo, I must do them again. At the risk of sounding like a w@nker hipster who rides a single speed bike and has a family of doves nesting in his beard, try them again at 63.7 degrees.

I played around with them for a while and found that little extra seemed to set the whites a touch more yet the yolk was still great.

• You do sound like a w@nker hipster who rides a single speed bike and has a family of doves nesting in his beard.

:P

I gave up because while the yolk was great, the white was never cooked. If it was, then the yolk was over done.

• I reckon someone should try just doing yolks, frying the whites normally and then placing the sous vide yolks on top. I think the texture of sous vide yolks is sensational.

Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!