Charcoal Grilled Kalbi Chuck Steak

• I thought I'd try a simple Kalbi recipe I saw on YouTube. Normally used with beef ribs, with the kiwi enzymes used to tenderise them, so I thought it should work well with chuck.

Ginger, garlic, onion. Salt.

Mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey.

1 kiwi.

Blend the lot together.

I cut the chuck roughly into pieces approx 1cm thick, then criss crossed them as you would with pork skin.

Marinade for 18 hours:

Just about to go on the grill:

On the charcoal grill.

Served with tortillas (also Grilled) :

I'll be doing this again. Not chewy at all. In fact I'd describe it as the perfect texture, not fall apart, but easy to bite.

Taste was great too, especially the little burnt bits. Next time I'll chilli it up a bit.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Was it a relatively low charcoal heat?

I'd say it was medium. I built it hot in the centre and cooler on the edges. I moved the meat around to avoid too much charring. Only took me a few minutes on the grill.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Very nice Narm.

I'm thinking I might try that. I could use the Weber kettle and put the two charcoal baskets together in the middle. That would give me a hot centre and cooler areas on the outside.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• This looks amazing, I would love comments as to how this would work out using tri tip please.

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

• I was going to post up you could use mango the same way, did a quick google search and it turns out it's not just kiwi and mango:

papaya, kiwifruit, pineapple, fig and mango

Pineapple, hmmm, tenderised pizza anyone?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I would love comments as to how this would work out using tri tip please

OK here's an admission: I've never ever cooked tri tip, so I'd be keen to hear comments too.

That being said, my thoughts are that this marinade will work with everything. I'm thinking of trying it with chicken next.

• Ive used kiwi to tenderise squid before, but never considered it for red meat. That looks bloody tasty mate!

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!