• I have been tasked with cooking the protein for my daughter and nephews confirmation on Sept 12. I plan on cooking on the 11th. Looking at 2 pieces of beef roast, a lamb roast and have had a request for pork ribs by some guests... The ribs I plan on cooking on the Sunday. I was thinking 2 nice sized bolar blades and a lamb shoulder/leg... My sister has said "not too much smoke" :rolleyes: ... What temp would be good for the roasting so I can get some smoke but "not too much" to appease sissy?

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Roasting would normally mean about 180c for me.

I would just do that in your DB and if you are just using the pellets and not adding anything else to create more smoke, then that would fit nicely with the request not to have too much somkey taste. Pellets on their own don't add much at all.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Roasting would normally mean about 180c for me.

Thanks mate. All cooking will be done in the DB. The ribs will get done on Sunday morning, put them in before we go to church, wrap when i get home and sauce just prior to lunch

• If only you had that sous vide machine now. They are the best reheating tool around by far.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Lamb leg id roast at high temperature,

Shoulder id try do low and slow.

Depends if you want it pulled or sliced ? Same with the beef roast, hot and fast for sliced or low and slow for pulled …..

Decisions to make ….

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Be careful with the bolar, it can dry out if over cooked when going for the slicing finish. It depends on the time available but I've found cooking anything like bolar to the pulled state, it's much better reheated the next day. It also takes away the presure of cooking the same day.

There's a good video on pulled bolar here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Be careful with the bolar, it can dry out if over cooked when going for the slicing finish.

Suggestions of other cuts for sliced roast beef? The beef and lamb will be cooked the day before and reheated in gravy the next day.

• If the money is no issue grab a cube roll - scotch or a big porterhouse.

Or a rump would be next IMO.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Yes, it depends on the budget and how many you need to feed. A decent sized rump would do it as well as what BBQBushy suggested.

• Then I'd be thinking as big chunck of rump.

• so we have 3 portions of striploin about 12 inches in length and 2 rolled lamb legs to be cooked on the Saturday and 5 racks of pork ribs to be cooked on the Sunday. Rib cook ideas would be appreciated, seeing as though I do have to put them on BEFORE i go to church at 8am, then have to get home and wrap them for lunch time serving... Normally would run a 2,1,1 timing at 125c...

• Sounds good to me. Keep in mind you need to cook for the majority so it should be more towards medium than rare. It will increase internally while resting so I reckon you are about right.

• Sounds good to me. Keep in mind you need to cook for the majority so it should be more towards medium than rare. It will increase internally while resting so I reckon you are about right.

Agree some will want it past it's best, and have to allow for re-heating on Sunday.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!