DIY Curing Chamber.

• I’m really wanting to get into curing my own meats making salami and cold smoking a lot more..

So being stuck at home in quarantine has got me thinking a lot about making a curing chamber- I liked the lookout DevilsGrill one so have decided to make my own.

I have ordered the InkBird thermometer and humidity controller.

And have ordered a humidifier separately..

Haven’t bothered with a dehumidifier as of yet because it’s doesn’t really get that humid in Canberra . Time will Tell I probably will get one.

And have just found on gummy a large 430L full fridge to get this project started.

Hopefully next week once I can get out pick up the fridge and the eBay orders start arriving I can start my build 👍🏼

I found a great site - eatcuredmeat.com

Lots Of great info and He does An online course that I plan on doing in the next few days.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Picked up the fridge and it works 😁

The InkBird controllers Both turned up Too.

Just waiting on the humidifier and I can get this thing curing.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Made a piece of Italian speck today - in the fridge curing ready to be hung and smoked in a couple weeks .

Never enough BBQ

• Had a fail with the fridge this arvo.

Tried putting a 1/8 screw to hold the temperature monitor , and just my luck hit a copper pipe and it spewed all the gas out.

FAAARRRR. OUT!! :cursing: :mad as: :mad as: :mad as: :censored: :censored:

Got a fridgy mate reckons he can fix it but just ruined my arvo!!

Have cut around the pipe in readiness for the repair 🥲

Never enough BBQ

• Finally in action 🥃👏

So I got the fridge repaired and gassed .🍺

Holds temp reasonably well over the last few weeks ,

Humidity fluctuates between 50-80% .

Put the first piece of cured pork in today piece of loin - to become Lonza.

Have some pork neck curing now for some Coppa .

Never enough BBQ

• Few more additions to the chamber ,

Lanza on the left , another piece of speck which will be cold smoked for approx 20 hours over the next week, and two pork necks for Coppa.

Never enough BBQ

• So about 8 weeks in and the Lonza and Spevk have both lost about 35-39% weight - water .

So pulled them out cut in half to see the insides and have a few sample tastes .

:yum) Pretty good I think for a newbi….

Will be doing more soon ..

It’s now been vac sealed and will eat as I need …

Lonza

Speck

Never enough BBQ

• Pulled out one of the pork necks today - coppa

This is seriously good stuff !!

Never enough BBQ

• I take it they are boneless necks and what is that sitting in the bottom and top of the fridge, cheers Robert

Yes boneless necks.

Its a humidifier - when the fridge turns on the humidity drops and this turns on to keep the humidity around 75-80%

Never enough BBQ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!