Are Ceramic Kamados a future white elephant?

• I have a Kamado Joe kamado. It is over 8 years old uses springs as a part of the lid hinge system.

It has a lifetime warranty on the ceramics and 5 years on metal components.

As expected the springs have lost their sprung after years of use and no longer hold up the lid as good as it should.

Not a good things as ceramic kamado lids are HEAVY.

Unfortunatley KJ no longer sells the springs.

I have seen Kamado owners hold up their lids with pieces of wood etc to keep them open as they can't replace/fix their hinge systems.

Thank goodness Gumb has offered to give me his springs from his BGE after he upgrades. A big thank you Gumb!

There's lots of new lid hinge systems for ceramic Kamados today. But what happens if you have to replace them in a few years time?

1) Can you just replace the broken bit for a few dollars are will you be charged to buy the whole assembly and you pay lots?

2) You can no longer can buy the part to fix the hinge so effectively you can't use your kamado anymore even though the rest of it is perfectly fine?

Picture of Big Joe Kamado whose springs have lost their sprung and the owner can't buy replacement springs.

• I had to replace a broken spring on my previous kamado, a Royal. It just snapped one day and I'm fairly sure I bought one from Bunnings but could be wrong there. The new version hinge set up on the BGE is such that the springs are actually slack when the lid is shut so they aren't under tension 24/7. Maybe they had issues with the old style but the one I have is still going strong. I'd be surprised if they aren't a generic spring available from dedicated suppliers of those things.

The new hinges were still out of stock last time I checked but I'll call them again tomorrow and see if they are in.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The new version hinge set up on the BGE is such that the springs are actually slack when the lid is shut so they aren't under tension 24/7.

The way my KJ springs work is that they're under pressure 24/7 so over time even if you don't use the kamado they wear out. A good idea that BGE springs don't work that way.

• OOPs, my mistake. They are under pressue closed and not when open. But it means they are far easier to remove and replace if necessay. Sorry about that chief.

Check out the last couple of minutes on this video where he shows the lid being held half way with no issue. It looks like the design means that there's far less tension required on the springs to assist the lid opening and they don't appear to be too stressed when it's fully closed.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Primo has a new Hinge system coming out at the moment but as you say you have to buy the whole thing.

The good part about that is the new hinge is a hell of a lot better than the old one as the new one makes it a lot lighter to lift the lid of the XL which is really heavy.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• 12x7 have you made contact with Barbeques galore? They might be able to assist as they seem to be getting replacement ones as I had an issue with mine also.

Where are you located?

Kamado Joe Thrilogy (Joe Jr, Classic Joe & Big Joe) - Joetisserie - Weber Smokey Moutain 22" - Weber Family Q - Weber Jumbo Joe - Ooni Pro

• 12x7 have you made contact with Barbeques galore? They might be able to assist as they seem to be getting replacement ones as I had an issue with mine also.

Where are you located?

They got back to me and told me I had to buy the whole hinge unit for $299 as they no longer sold the springs.

A brand new KJ Classic 1 is $794.

KJ aren't the only brand that has this sort of rip-off. Unfortunately it is a bit of an industry trend.

Edited 2 times, last by 12x7 (September 9, 2021 at 11:34 AM).

• The new hinge for the BGE is $240.

• Guys there are transfer shipping companies for US buying. The Saffire site is saying $9Usd for springs. 0.2 pounds. 1 pound shipping quote to Aus is under $15Usd

Ive used these services before and they are pretty solid. Still a bit exy for springs but much cheaper than whats being quoted above.

• Guys there are transfer shipping companies for US buying. The Saffire site is saying $9Usd for springs. 0.2 pounds. 1 pound shipping quote to Aus is under $15Usd

Ive used these services before and they are pretty solid. Still a bit exy for springs but much cheaper than whats being quoted above.

I saw those earlier. Saffire US told me that they don't ship to Australia and there's no Australian dealer. They recommended I give Primo a call.

Gumb has offered to give me his old springs from his BGE after he has upgraded. I will see if that works. If it does I can get some springs some BGE springs from UG.

If that doesn't work your idea of using a US transfer shipping company is a good idea.

• they don't ship to Australia

As Geoffo was saying, you can try a company like shipito.com

I haven't used them since the pandemic, but they worked really well and smoothly last time I used them.

Basically they give you a USA address which is what you provide as your delivery address when ordering the springs. They then take it from there and send it to you in Australia.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• As Geoffo was saying, you can try a company like shipito.com

I haven't used them since the pandemic, but they worked really well and smoothly last time I used them.

Basically they give you a USA address which is what you provide as your delivery address when ordering the springs. They then take it from there and send it to you in Australia.

With these 'forwarding companies' there is usually an option for the company to buy the item with their credit card/bank account, so you won't be 'geo-blocked' trying to use an Australian credit card with a US address. I found this out last week when trying to buy some shoes for my daughter.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• 12x7 would love those on the right I'm sure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!