Is a bigger grill better?

• You have a set budget and you're trying to get the best bang per buck.

Do I buy a charcoal bbq like a kamado with a bigger main grill vs a smaller diameter main grill with extenders? A practical example is you're at Bunnings, the Chargriller Akorn with a 20" main grill $549 vs Chargriller with 18" main grill $699.

If we are talking kettles the same thought is kettle vs bullet.

For everyday use what do people prefer? Bigger main grill?

• This is one of the reasons I got the Primo XL is the ability to use a firebox divider so i can have charcoal on one side and effectively have a side for grilling and a side for resting. i.e. two zone.

Then i can also use it for bigger cooks as well by taking the divider out and using the whole firebox.

I do this when i am doing a long cook not for any other reason other than i get concerned about running out of charcoal.

It gives me plenty of flexibility.

I then bought a Akorn Jr as it gets up to grilling temp in about 10-15 minutes as opposed to 30 mins on the XL. :cheers:

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I think the 18" (46cm) grill is the perfect size for everyday family (2-4) use. The grill extender is a bonus and I do use one quite a bit. Any bigger and it chruns through more charcoal trying to get to temp when I don't really need the extra space.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I started cooking charcoal bbq using a Weber kettle with a 22" grill. It was the perfect size to cook two large chickens with veggies. One to eat hot and the other cold later in the week.

With the 18" Kamado grill I discovered that two large chickens took up most of the grill space and that you couldn't use the grill extender because of the height of the chickens.

With the 20" grill on the Akorn there was enough space two two large chickens and veggies.

Cooking one large chicken with veggies the 18" grill is a good size.

• Bigger is better, better off knowing you’ve got enough realestate the wishing you had.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• It depends on how many you need to feed and how often. If I have a crowd, I have other options to help out but going too big for 90% of your cooking is a mistake in my opinion.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Big family, big bbq for me. Sometimes I need more than 1 depending on what I'm doing.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Sometimes I need more than 1 depending on what I'm doing.

Good point. Sometimes you want two different heat etc. eg 1 x charcoal/wood/pellet and 1 x gasser/electric. It makes a big difference on how big the grill on what you purchase if this is your first/only bbq vs your second/third.

• Generally for me when grilling the bigger the better, because it allows wiggle room and hot/warm zones.

Then again, a little hibachi or a Weber go anywhere can do a wonderful job, so it does depend on what you're cooking and the quantity.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!