Choosing a Pellet Pooper

• I'm looking to buy a pellet burner and have narrowed my options down to 3 contenders. They are;

1. GMG Boone Prime Plus WiFi

2. Oklahoma Joe Rider

3. Z grills 700E-XL

Oklahoma - I was impressed with the height and sturdy nature of the Oklahoma Rider and it had a lot of cooking room too. I wonder if it would therefore use more pellets? The sear option seemed interesting but I wondered if it was a gimmick. The bucket option to swap out pellets seemed very smart. Aesthetically I really liked the looks of this model.

Z grills - They appear to have quite the online fanbase and their pricing is very attractive. Quality is said to be high. Local support is a bonus too.

GMG Boonie - With WiFi, pizza oven option, and a rotisserie add-on, this was my leading contender. I also like that the fan speed is variable rather than needing to be constantly turned on and off to reach temperature targets (Source). I almost pulled the trigger on the Boonie this arvo.

BUT ...

A search on facey turned up a couple of interesting things.

The GMG pizza oven add-on can be used on the Z grill models. It apparently fits perfectly. If I disregard the WiFi and rotisserie options the Zgrill comes back into play.

And regarding the rotisserie - a comment made by a Z grill staffer on Facebook said there's no need for a rotisserie on a Z grill (and I assume pellet smokers in general) because the fan ensures the smoke completely envelopes the meat anyway. So is the rotisserie option on the Boonie a gimmick?

Lastly, I went to a local supplier of the Oklahoma and GMG yesterday and the sales guy talked up all three options. Yep, he even recommended Z grills despite not selling em.

Want to help me decide?

Dragon Fire Kamado, Weber Go Anywhere, Weber Q320, Ziggy Portable, GMG Boone Prime+, Jumbuck Delta 4.

Edited once, last by RogueHound (September 1, 2021 at 8:47 PM).

• I have had a GMG DB and now have a DC. I am biased and reckon they are great. You wouldn’t go wrong with a GMG and IMO they give the best bang for buck.

gourmetgalaxy has a Z Grill I believe and he may be able to answer that for you.

Don’t know much about the Oklahoma.

Have you had a look at the Camp Chef ?

There are plenty of options these days.

Even the Pitboss is a good grill as well.

All of them will serve you well.

My advice would be get the grill you want so there will be no buyers remorse.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• And regarding the rotisserie - a comment made by a Z grill staffer on Facebook said there's no need for a rotisserie on a Z grill (and I assume pellet smokers in general) because the fan ensures the smoke completely envelopes the meat anyway. So is the rotisserie option on the Boonie a gimmick?

Not a gimmick at all and quite frankly, I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. You'll get better advice in here from the many members than from a guy in a shop.

The roti is a definite advantage and it's all about the food self basting as it turns, not about the smoke aspect at all. In fact pellet grills don't impart much smoke flavour anyway, regadless of what flavour pellets you use. Extra smoke can be added in other ways by burning smoking pellets in a smoke generator of some sort. That could be in a foil pouch or a cold smoke generator attached to the grill like Gourmet galaxy has on his Z Grill.

My view, I'd be going for the Daniel Boone Prime with the extra features like glass window in the door, variable fan speed and the easy clean ash system. Their after sales service is second to none as well.

Buy that and you won't be sorry.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• pellet grills don't impart much smoke flavour anyway

I'm always confused by this statement and find that sometimes it's to much smoke. The one reason I would have preferred the Masterbuild is so I can have the choice of no smoke flavour just charcoal. But I have the Akorn to do the job.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• When it come to the different flavour pellets, I can't taste any difference or in fact any 'flavour' between different pellets like, cherry, apple, competiton blend, etc.

There is a 'cooked over a fire' taste to the food but it's not overpowering and I've never found it to be too much.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• As Jimmy70 mentioned there are so many options now......From the 3 in your list though

I'm on the same page as Jimmy70 on the Oklahoma.....as in I don't know much about them....BUT I have found customer support from this importer to be 2nd rate at best.

If you want the bells & bits plus good customer support you will probably pick the GMG....although IMHO the Roti is more a gimmick without hot coals.

If you want a great smoker without all the bells & bits you would probably end up with the Z Grill....like you mention they do have a great friendly FB group & the man behind the Brand (Michael Humphreys) bends over more than backwards with every sale.....great & speedy after sales service should you ever need it...Almost 24/7 also!

Probably why the sales guy also recommended the brand.

Yep, he even recommended Z grills despite not selling em.

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• Im biased because I now have a GMG after my nightmare Traeger.

The GMG Jb is a much better pit than my old Traeger junior. Its over 4 years old now and has never let me down.

In saying this I havnt tried the new offerings but Ive never regretted buying the Jb from Urbangriller. I also think the GMG imparts a different flavor compared to my many charcoal cues. Pellet poopers impart a wood like flavour from burning pellets to create the heat (its a cleaner wood flavour) smouldering chips on a charcoal base makes a more harsh dirtier smoke.

You wont find many here that have a GMG and have complaints. They are good things and have good after sales service.

• Turns out Kawana BG on the sunny coast had stock of the GMG DB prime +. Lots of em too. I haven't seen such a big range of bbqs in a BG store like I did this morning at Kawana. Even saw a few yoder on the floor.

Anyhow, I'm now a Boone owner 😁. Got the pizza add-on too so I'm keen to see how that works out too.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dragon Fire Kamado, Weber Go Anywhere, Weber Q320, Ziggy Portable, GMG Boone Prime+, Jumbuck Delta 4.

• Excellent choice. :thumbup:

Make sure you know about the hot start procedure too. I wrote that out and stuck it on the underside of the hopper lid.

• hey people.

i have stepped back to the dark side and bought a new pellet grill.

researched for days. almost bought a weber smoke fire, the only thing that stopped me was...... i wanted 2 of them, and i wanted them NOW. being that i live in rural area they don't stock these, they order them in. and it was gunna take 10 days or so, rang around as far as 2.5 hr drive away, and they only had one 6 and one 4 in stock i wanted 2 6s.

so felling a little frustrated i went back on the interweb and did more research, some how and thank DOG i tripped and stumbled onto ZGRILL, checked out their face book page, actually i spent quite an entertaining hour or so.

And became convinced that this was for me. a no muck about serious pellet grill. with australian local support network.

100 day trial......... money back if you were not happy.

3 year warranty

and a bloke that loves his product and will walk a barefoot mile over broken glass to ensure you are totally happy with your purchase. to the standard that i have experienced while dealing with Chris. yeah, that good.

anyhow,

i bought 2 700E-XL pro packs off them late on a saturday afternoon, Mick, was as excited as i was, not just because he scored a 2 z-grill sale, but, because he really believes in his product.

and the waiting time is almost as long as the weber, being a rural delivery. but for some weird reason i am not stressing

about it

gave me a chance to check out the ZGrill's page and stuff.

decided to buy a bulk load of pellets. so, i rang Mick again and, he suggested that i give Rod from ministry of smoke a call, and deal with him direct for a better price, but to make sure i mentioned him.

.........is it just me or has the BBQ community stopped all the bullshit fighting amungst ourselves?

or was i just viewing through paranoid eyes?..........

as i was writing, Rod was just as helpful and excited as Mick.

i bought 34 bags off him (that was all he could pack in a old bulk fruit box).

he too went above and beyond.

there were transport problems out of brizzie, so he delivered them up here himself.

so, after all that......... my vote is ZGRILL and pellet supplier....... Rod from ministry of smoke,

true story.

can't believe i have re-entered the dark side.

and the journey continues.

kevin

up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

• That's a good wrap for Zgrills Kev and well done on the purchase. We look forward to checking out your thoughts after the first use.

Good to hear positive feedback that suppliers are looking after their customers too.

• Great write up & story 420kev.

Just confirms what I said in post #7 about Michael & his commitment to his brand.

And yep Rod is another top bloke & a great source of Aussie made pellets at good prices.

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• I dont think you will go wrong mate. Many of us here have GMGs and we are brutal on products.

Enjoy your new cue and please... post pics :)

Dammit! Made pizzas last night and forgot to document it.

Didn't really believe the pizzas would be done in 2-3 minutes as advertised and got shown up. should have had a lineup of pizzas ready to put in.

Chewed through some pellets because I wasn't prepared.

420kev I cam so close to getting a Z grills. I'm sure I would have been happy with either!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!