Pork Belly in the Weber Kettle

• I bought a good size pork belly this afternoon and decided to have it with char siu sauce and fried rice.

It was thinly scored and the underside basted with the char siu sauce. A thin coat of oil, lots of salt on top and then in to the fridge for a few hours.

I got the Weber up to about 200c with both baskets almost full of Kingsford hickory briquettes. To start, I put the belly skin down directly over one of the baskets and turned it around a few times over about 5 minutes.

I kept an eye on it to avoid burning but the crackle was coming along really well and started to harden up so I decided to start the cooking process. I used a chicken stand to keep the belly higher up in the chamber for more heat. The strips of foil along the sides were to stop the direct heat from burning the sides.

About 40 inutes later with the internal around 145f, I took it out and the crackle was pretty good but I hit it with the searzall for a couple of minutes just to finish it off.

Very happy with the result.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• no, i cant see myself standing next to it with a beer in hand like i do at the bbq. :P

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• but it's not BBQ.

I rest my case. ;)

• but it's not BBQ.

How about if the air fryer is outside? Surely if they call an electric frypan which is used outside is called an electric BBQ, why can't an air fryer used outside be called a bbq? or if the food is cooked in the air fryer inside and taken outside to eat?

• Have you tried pork belly in an air fryer?

Despite my rant against the dastardly machine I'm intrigued. What temp do you cook it at? 180c? Do you precook it elsewhere and just finish the crackling in there or is it the entire cook?

Don't you end up with a tray full of liquid fat?

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Despite my rant against the dastardly machine I'm intrigued. What temp do you cook it at? 180c? Do you precook it elsewhere and just finish the crackling in there or is it the entire cook?

Don't you end up with a tray full of liquid fat?

I can see why you bought a dedicated oil fryer. They do make superb fried food. One of my favourites is fried chicken.

Your air fryer does has some other uses such as pork belly. People rave about it and the fad has pushed up the prices.

There's a few ways to cook it.

Here's a basic recipe.

Air fryer roast pork belly
    You've not had roast pork, until you've had roast pork from an air fryer. It's prepped in 5 minutes and on the table in an hour - and that crackling is…
    www.taste.com.au

You can get fancy and create asian dishes like BBQ Char Sui.

Sticky Char Siu in the Air Fryer (Chinese BBQ Pork) - Scruff & Steph
    This char siu in the air fryer (Chinese BBQ pork) recipe is marinated pork belly that is basted with a glossy red glaze then air fried.
    scruffandsteph.com
  • Air fyers are just micro fan forced ovens. We do have one here but buggered if I'll use it to cook a chicken or a pork belly when outside on the deck is a bag of charcoal and a Big Green Egg. :P

• Chicken wings or thigh fillets coated in the pretend KFC coating is amazing in the airfryer as is baked potato . If you are short of time as happens to all of us at times these make awesome food in a fraction of the time. Some things do not do well in the airfryer but that's why we have all of the other appliances and utensils at our disposal. Each to their own and good luck to you. Over and out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!