Best Budget Pizza Oven

• My Brother is asking for best Charcoal BBQ mainly for doing pizzas. I've suggested Akorn Kamado, but just wondering if there are any decent budget Pizza Ovens out there at the moment if he wants to go dedicated pizza oven.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber Kettle | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping)

• He could opt for the Ooni Karu, roughly the same price as the Akorn but it’s a dedicated pizza oven capable of reaching 900F+. Runs on lump/hardwood.

Weber Kettle, WSM (14.5"), PBC

• For a dedicated pizza oven, I'd highly recommend the Maximus which has been serving me so well for a number of years and does fantastic wood fired pizza.

Maximus Pizza Oven

Unfortunately, the price has gone ballistic in the past 12 months. I paid about $800. :eek:

These used to be about $700 but they've gone up too.

Stainless Steel Pizza Oven

Rather than an Akorn, I'd be seriously looking at the Kamado Joe from Bunnings for under $800

It seems to me that we are now seeing the inevtibile rise in prices of so many goods due to the issues over the past 18 months.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• My Brother is asking for best Charcoal BBQ mainly for doing pizzas. I've suggested Akorn Kamado, but just wondering if there are any decent budget Pizza Ovens out there at the moment if he wants to go dedicated pizza oven.

Charcoal bbqs are not generally intended for pizza. While they can obviously do a great pizza, you'll struggle to get the temp required for Neapolitan pizzas. Of those that are easily accessible, I'd say the Akorn kamado is a very good option.

I'd also suggest a GMG wood pellet BBQ with the pizza attachment. As for a dedicated wood fired pizza oven, the Maximus mentioned by Gumb is awesome. quick fire up, easy to move, reaches high temps and keeps tops and bottoms cooked properly. The pizza party is also great.

The small stainless steel ones like the uuni reportedly work well also, if you can live with the logistics of that kind of form factor.

By the way, costco now stock the best pizza flour around, caputo:

Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

• These guys are pizza snobs. :) I recently sold my old Akorn to a workmate and him and his family are raving about the pizzas. (Ill admit between him and his wife they are doing a good job)

Akorns do a decent pizza, get hot fairly fast and are easy to shut down. they just cook the grate seasoning every time you get them that hot. After doing it for 4 years I was done reseasoning it.

My Saffire is now back on the patio.

Akorns are a good entry level Kamado and you can do a lot more with them. But for pure pizza and not much else, listen to the pizza snobs :D both Narm and Gumb do next level pizza and have for many years.

• Thanks guys. I did suggest the Maximus, but you are right the prices have gone a bit wild.;

He actually found a pretty decent looking Akorn for $200 on Facebook Marketplace and should be picking that up on Saturday. Maybe I can get him onto using it for other things :)

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber Kettle | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping)

• The issue with any kamado style oven is trying to get the top and bottom cooked evenly at the same time. The perfect pizza is cooked by having a hot base to start with and the heat coming from above.

I used to do them in my previous kamado and they worked quite well after trying many different methods but nothing compares to a dedicated pizza oven.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• If you''re thinking of using a Kamado to cook pizza you should lean towards one of the higher quality brands like Kamado Joe as they have a higher top temp. The KJ max temp is 500C which is more than enough for pizza. The Akorn top temp is @400C.

To help get the thermal mass for pizza people use fire bricks to form the base/bed just like in a pizza oven to cook on.

How to use fire bricks in a Kamado.

Using Fire Bricks With Ceramic Cookers -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

• Looks like he's cut a large slot in the dome and probably has a fire underneath on the opposite side.

• Possibly he has some form of plate/deflector in the top of the hood.

• It started it's life as a kettle BBQ. I cut out an opening in the lid to enable the pizza to be launched, turned, and taken out. The lid also has a "deflector" plate that is suspended using those bolts (my martian pizza cooker). The idea being I can raise or lower the plate to fine tune the amount of heat hitting the centre of the pizza.

Initially, my heat source was a combination of the the Weber 'gas burner' conversion, charcoal, and redgum. Amazing temps and great pizza's. However, I couldn't really taste the flavour imparted by the charcoal and wood.

Iteration 2 for the heat source:

I cut the base off the bottom of the kettle. I now sit it on top of a dual ring burner which also gives me plenty of heat.

Pizza cooks really quick. They are generally done in 2 mins or so. Any faster and I'm burning them. The cornicione is just like from a wood fired pizza shop.

I'm really happy with this 'martian' looking pizza cooker. It's very cheap as well. All you really need is an old kettle BBQ, a burner of some sort, and a pizza stone.

It's really effective and the resultant pizza's are top notch.

Any questions, please ask.

• By the way, costco now stock the best pizza flour around, caputo:

Thanks, I've been looking for this locally, but have never had any luck. Has anyone seen this flour outside of Costco as I'm not close to one?

The other flour I am searching for (and can't find) is 5 stagioni. I hear that is a pretty good pizza flour as well.

Just for reference, the above pizzas were made using the bakers flour from Woolworths / Coles.

• You can find Caputo flour in some of the more upmarket deli's. I haven't had to buy it myself for some years as a while ago I bought 2x15kg bags from the distributor and I still have quite a bit left.

Another option is this place, which I used to buy guanciale from as well before I found out about De Palma salumi:

Caputo Pizza Flour 15kg — Icnussa Fine Foods
    Caputo Pizzeria 15kg - Flour with strong, elastic gluten, ideal for dough that requires a long fermentation Elastic gluten and soft starch help doughs to get…
    www.icnussa.com.au

Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!