Sous Vide and a Weber Chook

• Gave a bird a bath in the sous vide container, 3 hours @70°C.

Added 2 litres of salty water to the bag to ensure the heating was consistent throughout.

Out of the water, into an ice bath for 45 minutes, dried and into the fridge for several hours uncovered to dry right out.

Put a rub on it (can’t remember what was in it, but there was definitely paprika, rosemary, cracked pepper….).

Fired up a full chimney of Heatbeads and into the Weber she went.

It took about an hour and a half to get back up to temp, with a few bastings of melted butter along the way.

Mrs Grills whipped up some roast veges and cheesy cauliflower/broccoli bake, roast potatoes, corn and some gravy made from the chooken drippings.

Tasty and tender and well worth the extra bit of effort involved using the sous vide.

:bbq:

• I've moved this in to the sous vide thread so we can discuss.

Added 2 litres of salty water to the bag to ensure the heating was consistent throughout.

Can you expand on that please. You added water inside the bag ??

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Hey Gumb,

Yep I just used a large ziplock bag, mixed up a salty brine and poured it into the bag.

Quite a few articles I had read mentioned that you need to be careful with sous vide and whole chickens, apparently the air that is left in the cavity of the bird after being vac sealed doesn’t heat as well as water and the inside can remain at a non safe level for too long.

I also read that you could stuff it with lemon slices etc as long as something was in there to heat the inside.

I basically just went with the poached in a bag method to be safe. :thumbup:

• Intersting and something I hadn't consdiered or heard of before but it makes sense. Kind of like how stuffing a beer can up it's bum can prevent the inside from cooking properly, which I always comment on when I see someone using that method.

I did sous vide chicken tonight as I do a lot but it's actually half a kamado cooked chook from the week before which I vac seal. Only two of us here these days so we get two roast meals out of one decent size chook. When they are cut in half like that, ther's obviously no cavity to worry about. In fact I don't think I've ever dome a full bird that way.

Thanks for clearing that up and it's another reason to have this info in the sous vide section where it can be retained for others to note.

I actually wish more good cooks were posted in other sections of the forum rather than everything going in to the monthly thread.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!