Turds! Atomic Buffalo Turds!

• It had been a while since we have made these (too long :dunno:)

We sliced the jalapeños lengthwise into little tasty canoes.

Added a half/half mix of jalapeño dip and aged grated cheddar cheese.

Sprinkled some spicy pork rub and wrapped them in some thin strips of streaky bacon.

Had a supervisor today too ;)

Into the Weber with about 3/4 of a chimney of Heatbeads and some Banksia for the smoke.

45 minutes did the trick and oh boy were they tasty!!

If anyone reading this hasn’t tried ABT’s, then I implore you to give em a crack!

You can use any fillings you want and next time we make them I’m going to put an oyster in each one and see how that goes :/ :P

• They do look good.

Always loved Jalapeño poppers, every time I’ve made them.

Never done them with cream cheese. Always wondered why the ‘standard’ recipe uses cream cheese? Is it to offset the chilli bite? Or something else?

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• They do look good.

Always loved Jalapeño poppers, every time I’ve made them.

Never done them with cream cheese. Always wondered why the ‘standard’ recipe uses cream cheese? Is it to offset the chilli bite? Or something else?

Cheers matty,

They were pretty tasty!

I’m not sure either, maybe convenient to use and add your own flavour too?

Whatever the reason they go alright :bbq:

• They look great.

I will have to try that filling as I always cook mine with a filling of Cream Cheese, Garlic, Grated Cheddar and some BBQ rub.

I do mine the same way as you cut the Jalapeños in half length ways and then wrap with Bacon.

The cream cheese thing could be that the bacon actually sticks to the cream cheese to finish off the wrapping :shrug:

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• My filling is cream cheese, pepper jack, pineapple and any rub I like. I guess it is just the way I have always made them. And for me, and ABT and a Popper are not the same. Popper is a whole Jap that has been stuffed, breaded and deep fried!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Cooked up some ABT's on Friday night. Added cream cheese filing this time, with a little grated cheddar mixed in. They were very nice.

Previously when I've made ABT's in the past I've tried different mixes of other, non- cream, cheese. I understand now why everyone uses cream cheese. It just works. Flavour and texture-wise, as well as being much less oil in the final product. From now on, I'll be using cream cheese as a base.

I also experimented with canoe style versus cutting the top off one of the larger Jalapino's and filling it vertically. The canoes' were a better result, much easier to pick=up and to eat.

These ones were a little light on 'bite' so next time I'll be leaving more seeds in there to get some Jalapeno flavour.

I'm off to plant some Jalapeno seeds. Mine didn't survive winter this year so need to plant new ones' for my next round of ABT's.

• Love me some ABTs!

I’ve found if you want to get a bit more chilli heat out of them, leave some seeds in, and also you can cook them at a higher temp, leaving more of a ‘crunch’ texture to the chilli’s and a spicier result.

• you can cook them at a higher temp, leaving more of a ‘crunch’ texture to the chilli’s and a spicier result.

These were done at just over 300f and left in too long, hence burnt bits of bacon in the photos. Still tasted damn fine though!.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• What temp snd timing do you use @NTLad

I’ve done them anywhere from 120c to 170c. The higher temp won’t retain as much smoke flavour, but gives you a more crunchy chilli, not so soft and shrivelled.

I don’t mind them either way.

You can always add more chilli/heat to the cheese mix. Cayenne, etc

As for time, when the bacon is cooked, their done!

• So I cooked myself some ABT's for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Ran the put at a much higher temp than previous attempts and that seemed to create a nicer result (more testing needed to confirm). Managed to make the ABT's last a few days. Wonderful stuff!

• So I generally run the GMG for the turds I do. I simply run pit at 200-225f to get some smoke flavor in them for about 30 mins and then towards the end up the temp to 300 - 350f just to crisp up bacon a bit.

No real time just cook it by feel I.e soft Jalepeno and sight dark bacon.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I aimed for 160C / 320f on these and they were in for a tad under an hour and a half. Not as much smoke as with lower temp, but I was trying for crisper bacon and an exposed bit of cheese. Time varies, longer or shorter, on the size of Jalapenos and amount of bacon wrap I guess.

FWIW, I've been adding in some grated cheese, smoked paprika, ground garlic and Jalapeno seeds to the cheese mix. Highly recommend them.

• Yep, always mix in some grated cheese with the cream cheese, garlic, maybe some finely chopped shallots, paprika and cayenne pepper.

The yanks also sit a small sausage cut in half, on top of the cheese before wrapping with bacon.

I’ve also mixed finely diced pepperoni or similar with the cheese.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!