Pork Spare Ribs take 3 - the best so far

• I picked up a nice looking slab of pork ribs with a decent amount of meat on the bones from the local Aldi a few days ago and cooked them today in the Big Green Egg.

I dusted them lightly (the other half doesn't like too much rub) and left them sit for a couple of hours before cooking.

I got the BGE up to about 230f and used the Tip Top Temp (from Urban Griller) to control the fire, which it did perfectly. They are amazing for the price. I added some wood chips as well, mainly apple and put them in a small smoking tube on the fire abd that really got some early smoke happening. Under the ribs I had a shallow foil tray with some apple cider vinegar in the bottom.

After the first hour I basted the ribs with apple cider vinegar. They are looking good at this point.

Another hour (so it's 2 hours in to the cook) and the ribs were at 145f internal. At this point I wrapped them in foil and added about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar/bbq sauce mix, poured all over the top before wrapping up.

Back in to the BGE and opened up the Tip Top Temp a bit which got the pit temp up to about 280f in very short time and it held it there for the rest of the cook.

An hour and half later I took them out of the foil (that's 3 1/2 hours in total). I had to be careful using the tongs, the ribs were literally falling off the bone.

I basted them again with the BBQ sauce, not diluted this time and put them back in the Egg for 10 minutes uncovered. Check the pull back on the bones.

A short rest with a bit of foil lighlty over the top while we got the chips and slaw ready.

They didn't need cutting for a his and hers serve, they broke apart !

They were as good as any I've ever done. :yum)

And all that was left was.....

:yum):yum):yum)

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• If that is a decent amount of meat, I would love to see what you think a real meaty rib is!

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• Most pork ribs sold down here have just the meat between the bones, so anything with a bit of depth is what I call decent. You are spoilt over there.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• And that's the very reason why when anybody asks me about Pork Ribs and how to cook them I ask them how much meat is on them.

Inevitably they tell me not much and that you can see the ribs at the top.

I then tell them to simply cook /braise them in a slow cooker as they wont work on a BBQ.

I usually then tell them to simply ensure that they get some Baby back ribs if they want to do them on the BBQ.

and as you say Gumb I then tell them that the ribs we get here are very different to the ribs in the USA.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• I noticed quite a bit of difference between the packs I was sorting through. Some were very thin so you are in the box seat to grab the best packs.

• Just so I am clear...those are meatier then any rib you would buy here that is not special cut! Or at least they look that way in the raw pictures!

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

• Man, they look better than ribs I've seen at my local Aldi. Normally just boxes of shiners. I might need to revisit and see what they are like nowadays. Rarely do pork ribs anymore as it's usually cheaper to just buy belly for some silly reason at the moment but from memory Aldi sold them at a decent price.

• There were no ribs like that when I was in Aldi the other day. They look great.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Maybe I just got lucky. I hope not, I'd get them again for sure.

• I’ve always had good luck with Aldi ribs. Best bang for your buck I reckon.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• The only thing that I find interesting/different is the curve of your eaten rib. You would never see that here on a "Spare/St Louie Cut", it would be long & straight! You would have to have a BB/Loin rib to see that curve here. That is the only thing I do not understand.

• I picked up a nice looking slab of pork ribs with a decent amount of meat on the bones from the local Aldi

So good meat CAN be found in supermarkets then Gumb ......seek and ye can find!

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E.....Aldi/Masterbuilt & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.

• Aldi aren't too bad. Coles and Woolies howvever......hmmmm...no thanks.

Plus, it MUST be Aussie pork.

• Coles and Woolies howvever.

I don't agree...you can at times pick up some very good meat.....and some ship as well!.

Look and it can be found.......as for pork last time I heard the major two players take around 80% of all Aussie Fresh Pork.

Just don't buy bacon or boneless hams as nearly all of it is imported Pork......that's one reason I do my own.....even though its less these days.

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E.....Aldi/Masterbuilt & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!