Sydneysiders help! Where are you getting your Brisket and how much?

• So, I am curious where everyone is getting their brisket in Sydney?

Normally, i'd settle for Costco but the whole lockdown thing

So now i have been hunting around trying to look for new farms

I hear Riverina and Cape Grimm are quite good

After doing research, i've been trying to look for places to buy Cape Grim that aren't costing an arm and a leg.. (this is actually the reason why i haven't been cooking brisket)

i don't see why Sydney butchers are charging me $25/kg when in Brisbane and Melbourne are charging $18-20/kg?

I've done extensive search here scratching my head why we need to pay so much more

At the moment, i have asked Harris Farm to bring one in but waiting for their response

So my question is... where is everyone getting their brisket or Cape Grim/Riverina in Sydney and how much?

• I do like Cape Grim brisket and ribs. Good stuff. I've had Jacks Creek ribs and they were good too. Keen to try some Bass Strait and a Dimmintina sometime too. There does seem to be a difference in prices between Sydney and other states emerging this year. Not sure why.??? What I can say is that when prices go above $20/Kg for CG Ribs or Brisket in Sydney I usually walk past it. So I"m buying less this year than last year.

The other issue I've encountered is quality of CG briskets available. Last year, while not plentiful, I was able to get my hands on briskets from tim-to-time that had good size points and flats that were 1.5 to 2 inches thick, sometimes more. The ones I've seen in the last few months have all flats under an inch and it's impossible to source any CG briskets above 5Kg lately. There was some discussion of this previously. CG brisket size?

Bottom line IMHO; don't pay more than $20/Kg for CG brisket or Ribs and don't buy it if it's not decent size and shape.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• I bought some CG ribs last month. Sure they weren’t the usual expensive price but they were not great. Again I now know just to simply trust a brand without checking the quality.

At the time I bought them I looked at them and went they don’t look that great but they are CG and bought them anyway.

Lesson learnt

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Jimmy70 I recall AME in Sydney had CG beef ribs on promotion last year and while the price was not discounted, they must have had over 100 or so packs. I got in early on the first day and looked through them all. Much more consistent quality than the variety I've seen with CG briskets, but still some of the packs of ribs looked very lean. It was an eye-opener.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• matty Not sure where you're managing to find cape grim ribs for $20/kg. In Brissy i struggle to find any cape grim or bass straight for under $30/kg. But CG & Bass straight brisket up here is between $18-$20/kg depending on where you buy.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Was able to source CG beef ribs at various places in Sydney last year at $20/Kg,. I did buy some really nice looking ones at $22. Only saw one place last year charging above that. Never seen CG ribs for $30/Kg. OMG!

In terms of brisket, it’s been creeping up towards $25/Kg this year while quality has been falling but I’ve never seen it below $19.99/Kg in Sydney.

What is the Bass Strait stuff like compared to CG? Both grass fed aren’t they? I’m keen to try it.

• What is the Bass Strait stuff like compared to CG? Both grass fed aren’t they? I’m keen to try it.

Same company. I'm happy to be corrected here as relying on memory, I think Bass Straight may include farming areas in southern Vic as well as Tas. Yes grass fed. Have had both and can't really think of a difference from my samples.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yep. In many ways I prefer Bass St Beef - used to order it through Kelly’s- home delivered in lockdown was awesome. Ironically in Tassie seems a bit harder to find. Butchers not so much but Hill St IGA happy to order it in for me.

~ Kamado Joe ~ Weber Smokey Joe ~ Weber Baby Q ~

• AME have Cape Grim Briskets for $15.49/kg at the moment. Their email specials list says regaular price is $18.99/kg but i've not been there since pre-lockdown so can't confirm this 'regular' price. I did go there at lunchtime today though and there were a couple of dozen in the 4-6Kg (some a little over) at the $15.49/Kg price. Point end on most of them is not that 'fat' but many are what I'd classify as 'chunky' for CG and a all had large thin (1 inch or so) flat ends. The selection is reasonable. I grabbed two. I could have grabbed a couiple more but we're out of freezer space... Worth the checking out if you're in Sydney folks.

• HALF PRICE. So are they saying the regular price is $35.80???? WTF.

I would actually ask them that question on their social media pages? That price is basically what one of my local IGA's sell them for ($19.50 as of yesterday), and the shipping costs to WA are going to be higher than to Sydney. Feel free to quote me.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• HALF PRICE. So are they saying the regular price is $35.80???? WTF.

I was thinking the same thing. Super butcher up here in Brisbane have CG on special for $16.99 this week $5 off their usual price.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• I was thinking the same thing. Super butcher up here in Brisbane have CG on special for $16.99 this week $5 off their usual price.

It's not too surprising. With Covid and the associated border restrictions etc food prices have skyrocketed in Sydney. eg Coles rump on special for $27 per kg. It is easier for a Sydneysider to go overseas than to travel to another state in Australia. I spoke to a store owner the other day. He has to ship his goods from Melbourne to Brisbane to Sydney.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!