kamado accessories

• Gumb suggested making my questions into a general kamado accessories thread, so before I ask my actual questions I'll start by mentioning two accessories we already know a lot about.

Smokeware chimney cap for kamados (forum thread) - stainless steel replacement for the daisy wheel on most kamados. Can be fitted to all the major brands, ceramic and metal. Offers better control and doesn't let in the rain. Can be bought from Urban Griller and probably other places.

Tip top temp (forum thread) - daisy wheel alternative with a coil that expands/contracts with heat. That is, it opens/closes reactively to the outward airflow temp and that regulates the temperature. Can be adapted to most kamados. I think I explained that reasonably accurately (mine is on its way so I'm going by the videos). Can be bought from Urban Griller and maybe other places.

--

Now, accessories for my dragon kamado are nonexistent, so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm hoping some of you have suggestions.

1. A while back in one of the 'what are you cooking this month' threads, I saw a picture of some wings on a kamado, but it looked like the coals were ~10cm under the main grill grate. I'd like to do something along those lines because with the fire normally so far down, to sear I have to get it roaring and then if I open the lid it fairly quickly takes off and gets ridiculous. It also might be useful for charcoal chicken.

2. I'm not convinced about the cast iron grill. Sometimes it's good but I often find myself wishing I had a stainless one like the Joe's or basically every premium brand kamado. Once I'm allowed to visit shops again (Canberra, lockdowns, yay) I'm going to drop in to BBQs Galore and measure up some of the KJ parts and maybe I'll be lucky.

3. What's a good place to buy stainless, circular grills of different sizes?

• Realistically, I think you are limited by the lack of accessories for the Dragon as you mentioned.

Since you've had it for a couple of years and bought it on special, (according to your first post in 2019), and since you seem prepared to spend a bit of coin to add to your options, have you considered upgrading that to a ceramic kamado ? The Kamado Joe range at Bunnings is well worth considering and maybe sell the Dragon.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• You need to keep up with the threads in here, you always get the good oil on any BBQ news from SFaF.

;)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Realistically, I think you are limited by the lack of accessories for the Dragon as you mentioned.

Since you've had it for a couple of years and bought it on special, (according to your first post in 2019), and since you seem prepared to spend a bit of coin to add to your options, have you considered upgrading that to a ceramic kamado ? The Kamado Joe range at Bunnings is well worth considering and maybe sell the Dragon.

I really have thought about that (and also of buying a Masterbuilt 560 or a cheaper pellet grill etc). Getting through a Costco shop without spending 5 minutes checking out the Lousiana Grills range is impossible ;(

I don't really have the money at the moment, and I want to buy the small Asmoke next time it goes on sale (for camping and midweek cooks), which is going to make home life difficult if I've splurged on a KJ or similar.

So I figure I'll have the dragon for a while and if I'm smart about it some of the accessories will be transferrable to whatever I upgrade to in the future (such as the tip top temp).

• Now, accessories for my dragon kamado are nonexistent, so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm hoping some of you have suggestions.

Have a look at the Akorn accessories.

Here's the link to Akorn charcoal baskets. You can use them in your Dragon.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/char-griller-charcoal-baskets_p0039862?gclid=CjwKCAjwhaaKBhBcEiwA8acsHFn7wlguNEIk2-Kuw1CQQHbeq8oV2h2isg0vQa_8toU97gyDYYOWThoCDYUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can use a 35cm cast iron pizza dish as a deflector for $30.

Cheaper than the ceramic pizza stone and last way longer.

You can use it to cook on too!

Try one of these to put in the centre of the main grate. You need to take out the centre. This allows you to cook on the grate and put liquids in the centre. I think these are the right size. If not you still get the idea on what's needed.

• Good idea about the charcoal baskets, I have some for my Weber kettle which i've used in the BGE and they work well.

• I got one of these from another supplier ages ago.

It works in my Akorn and Kamado Joe 18". I reckon it might also work in a Dragon Kamado.

STAINLESS STEEL BBQ MEAT HANGER FOR 18 INCH KAMADO GRILLS AND KETTLE

Kamado/Kettle BBQ Meat Hanger Stainless Steel 18 inch - Urban Griller BBQ School | Specialty BBQ Products
    Stainless Steel BBQ Meat Hanger for 18 inch Kamado Grills and Kettle. $59
    urbangriller.com

You don't know what you're missing until you cook a chicken or duck with one of these.

• I got one of those from Urban Griller too. Works great for chicken in particular.

• The Joetisserie fits the Akorn and I am pretty sure it fits the Dragon as well.

I believe that the Dragon is the same size as a KJ so other accessories of KJ may well fit.

Time to get to know your local BBQG well when you can and see I guess.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• 2. I'm not convinced about the cast iron grill. Sometimes it's good but I often find myself wishing I had a stainless one like the Joe's or basically every premium brand kamado. Once I'm allowed to visit shops again (Canberra, lockdowns, yay) I'm going to drop in to BBQs Galore and measure up some of the KJ parts and maybe I'll be lucky.

The Akorn and Dragon have a 20 inch main grate.

Grill Grates can make a big difference. There's lots of different sizes for all different types of BBQs. Here's some Kamado examples.

Shop GrillGrates for Kamado Grills | GrillGrate

You can buy locally in Australia,

• 1. A while back in one of the 'what are you cooking this month' threads, I saw a picture of some wings on a kamado, but it looked like the coals were ~10cm under the main grill grate. I'd like to do something along those lines because with the fire normally so far down, to sear I have to get it roaring and then if I open the lid it fairly quickly takes off and gets ridiculous. It also might be useful for charcoal chicken.

Was this the chicken wings photo you were thinking of?

If so all i did was get the cheapest charcoal chimney from bunnings and grind the handle off to give me the straight tube in the pic below and then fill her with charcoal to give me the Dragon vortex imitation.

I also promised Wazza more photos at the time which i reneged on sorry :|

Bunnings charcoal chimney

• rangabbq that is genius mate and I will be 100% doing it this weekend. It is so much better than the (cough) mini "tandoor" oven that I tried to create some years ago with my old Weber kettle and a plant pot! ^^ :D

It did 'work' to a degree. But.... after the initial use it did crack into multiple pieces, so Mk II was one with a expansion relief cut into the side. Mk II was also a bigger pot and it got a fair bit of use before it too succumbed to the heat and fell into too many bits to make it practical to use. Hilarious though assembling the thing bit by bit to the utter amusement of my wife and kids.

~ Kamado Joe ~ Weber Smokey Joe ~ Weber Baby Q ~

• rangabbq I just scrolled through last month and it was Bomb with this post - but on looking at it again I think he may be doing the same thing as you. At the time I thought the coals went the full span of the grill, but it looks like it's also just the centre. I've been doing wings by trying to make a pile of charcoal in the middle and having the wings as close to the outer edge as possible. Your idea just makes it really easy and frees up more cooking space at the same time. I even have an old jumbuck chimney starter that I don't use anymore (it's been rusting away near the front yard hose for some reason. I'll bring it back into use now.)

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions also. I'll grab one of those cast iron pizza trays for a deflector as a priority (I've got an aldi paella dish at the moment, and before that a ceramic pizza stone wrapped in foil). The hanger attachment I had wondered about. I saw it on Urban Grillers website but wasn't sure so it's good to see the feedback.

• Hiya. Yeah, all I did was get a cheapo colander from coles, pry off the bottom ring/stand thing. It sits on the lower grate nicely. Works about the same as using a chimney but the coals are right up top.

Dragon Kamado - Fornetto Razzo 18" - Akorn Jr - Pro-Smoke Offset

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!