• Gumb is your van a Pop top ?

No, ours is a 17'6 full height van. As per the the pic I posted previously.

Goldstream are made locally too, as are many of the others like Supreme, Coronet, Lotus, A van, New Age, Jayco, Coromal, Australian Off Road, the list goes on.

The fidges and hot water units are all imported as well as roof hatches, windows, air conditioners, microwaves, washing machines, towing hitches, led lights, TVs etc.

Wiring looms come with the battery management systems supplied again by outside companies like Redarc, BMP and Projecta.

Suspension is also supplied from outside the van factory (e.g Alko and Cruisemaster).

So vans are basically a hybrid of Aussie made (read assembled) and imported fittings with chassis often supplied by dedicated chassis makers.

Then it comes down to after sales support, longevity in the business and quality of construction. If you look at the interior design they are all basically the same, just different colours. There's not much you can different insdie a 17'6x8' box.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Interior design is everything. I'm looking at upgrading our van and two of the design features for me must be front door position. I'm 195cm tall

6ft 4in. So I need to extend the bed and with the door in this position the bed does not but up against the lounge which then would mean you have to climb over to get in and out of beds. A massive pain.. Also a club lounge not a dinner configuration.

Mostly all van manufacturers have said that they can put the door wherever you want. Same for fridge sizes, stoves, sinks bench tops all where You want them. Within the structural design.

Also, some vans still have timber walls.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• From the Nissan website

SUPERB TOWING CAPACITY

Whether you're looking to bring a heavy load for work or a weekend away, the Navara makes it easy with a massive 3,500kg maximum braked towing capacity across the range.* All PRO-4X and ST-X models even come fitted with a Nissan Genuine Towbar as standard^.

• From the Nissan website

SUPERB TOWING CAPACITY

Whether you're looking to bring a heavy load for work or a weekend away, the Navara makes it easy with a massive 3,500kg maximum braked towing capacity across the range.* All PRO-4X and ST-X models even come fitted with a Nissan Genuine Towbar as standard^.

Ute manufacturers should be held accountable for the race to the biggest towing capacity. It's absolute BS that they can safely tow 3500. No mention of GCM or GVM or the fact that you should not tow anything heaveir than the tug.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• Gumb i thought so when I looked at the pic I need to look at their website again as mostly Pop tops came up.

12x7 so Navara weights are as follows: kerb weight (no fuel or anything in vehicle) 1980kgs, GVM is 2910kgs and GCM is 5910kgs.

So quick calculation 1980 plus two people say 200kgs a load of fuel say 60kgs gives you 2240kgs plus 3500kgs gives you 5740kgs now let’s not forget the tow ball weight which at say 10% is 350kgs which has to be factored in as well. You are now at 6090kgs which is over GCM and vehicle is illegal.

None of the utes can realistically tow 3500kgs legally apart from say a Dodge Ram which can tow 4500kgs. A Landcruiser 200 would struggle legally to tow 3500kgs due to GVM and loaded vehicle weights even though it’s considered the holy grail of towing.

It’s all marketing BS and which is why I will be getting my vehicle weighed fully loaded at Cruisemaster.

Cruisemaster Towing Performance Centre
    The experts in the complete towing experience. 4x4 fitouts, weight assessments and caravan servicing, repairs and retrofits.
    www.cruisemastertpc.com.au

This will allow me to make informed decisions about what van I can tow and the legal weights etc… and whether I just need to bite the bullet and get another tug.

I think we will be ok but will need to be pretty careful with what we take with us etc…

The good thing about going to cruisemaster as well is they are generally the manufacturer of the caravan suspensions so may have ideas on some vans as well. Probably not but doesn’t hurt to ask.

I believe that Auto is better for towing from the little I have read :shrug:

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• I believe that Auto is better for towing from the little I have read

Auto is good but you need to watch transmission temperature which can easily get out of hand. I have a torque converter lock up kit installed (Auto Mate from MM4x4) which I use around town but mainly for towing. Going up a long incline even on the Hume Highway th trans temp can get well over 100c. Once it reaches 115+ it starts to deteriorate but the warning light on most vehicles doesn't come on until the temp is over 140c and by then it's too late.

I have an Ultra Gauge set up on the dash to monitor that as well as exact engine coolant temp, engine load and battery voltage. It all helps.

• Im a pretty seasoned tower. Ive been on a trip with a rather overloaded old school Pajero. You guys need to understand what Gumb is saying here. When its too big or not loaded properly it is dangerous. That trip in the old pajero with all the weight in the back, it front end walked down every hill. You could literally feel it through the wheel. When hes saying watch the tow ball weight its because it actually upsets the car to the point of being dangerous to drive. Its hard to understand until you have been in that position. Gumbs a pretty seasoned tower with a background in clubs. He has hinted here a cuple times what can happen. There is no way I would tow 3.5 tonnes without a BIG car

• So have paused on the Caravan for the moment. Will wait until overseas travel starts and people start to sell their vans. Probably two years away now.

Just dropped a hint that I might order a 70 series LC to the boss.

I can wait for it to turn up.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• How you thought about a campervan?

My brother-in-law used to sell campervans. They cost a bit but they hold their value well.

They're real handy as you don't have to tow and set-up. Just stop and rest.

Jayco MS.22-2 All-Terrain Campervan
    Sleeping two adults, the Jayco All-Terrain Campervan is a home away from home packed full of practical features to accelerate your adventures.
    www.jayco.com.au

• 12x7 so Navara weights are as follows: kerb weight (no fuel or anything in vehicle) 1980kgs, GVM is 2910kgs and GCM is 5910kgs.

So quick calculation 1980 plus two people say 200kgs a load of fuel say 60kgs gives you 2240kgs plus 3500kgs gives you 5740kgs now let’s not forget the tow ball weight which at say 10% is 350kgs which has to be factored in as well. You are now at 6090kgs which is over GCM and vehicle is illegal.

You have counted the trailer weight twice.

The towball weight for a 3500kg trailer at 10% is 350kg, that goes against the utes GVM, leaving 3150 for the caravan.

The utes GVM (including the ball weight) plus the trailer (minus the ball weight, because that's on the ute, not the caravans axles) is the GCM, Otherwise you are effectively counting the trailer as 3850kg

So to your figures.

Navarra weighs 1980, plus 200 (passengers and some stuff), plus 60 (fuel), plus 350 (towball weight) = 2590, that's your GVM, if you have not much else in your ute, so you have 320kgs spare there.

GCM is max 5740, so we subtract GVM of 2590, you can tow 3150. Perfectly legal, but might not be safe.

But if you have any more weight in the ute, like a bullbar, fridge, drawers etc then you will be over the GCM.

• 12x7 yes we have just reckon it would struggle doing dirt roads etc…

trentski yep understand that it was more a comment that you can’t tow 3500 legally even with a standard vehicle. Not that the Nav can anyway due to calculations on Tow Ball download and max on tow bar is 300kgs which in effect according to Nissans recommendations is 410kgs off of GVM not 300.

Yep Bull bar, battery, canopy etc… on the Navara so couldn’t and wouldn’t anyway. Not safe.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!