I have done Íchíyá-bóshí of Mackerel

• Yukkie

Changed the title of the thread from “I have Íchíyá-bóshí of Mackerel” to “I have did Íchíyá-bóshí of Mackerel”.
  • I do not believe I have ever had Mackerel. I am not a big fish eater, I do love a good fish n chip and a tuna fish sandwich, but that is about it.

I know this is probably a difficult question to answer because taste is so subjective, but is there any other fish that taste somewhat like Mackerel?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Yukkie

Changed the title of the thread from “I have did Íchíyá-bóshí of Mackerel” to “I have done Íchíyá-bóshí of Mackerel”.
  • Mackerel is an oily fish similar to all the tuna family , smoke well and can all be cured, Or eaten raw sashimi or sushi.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Closest I can think of to mackerel would be herring. Others may have something closer, perhaps a fish we over here call Tailor - which is probably called Blue Fish in your part of the world.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I have cured half of the mackerel in the soysauce-based mixture.

I have dried it in the net outside.

I have cured rest of the half with salt.

This looks interesting, I'll be watching to see how this turns out.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Japanese style fish is one of my favourites. Nice job Yukkie.

Big Green Egg - aSmoke Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller

• I have cured half of the mackerel in the soysauce-based mixture.

I do not believe I have ever had Mackerel. I am not a big fish eater, I do love a good fish n chip and a tuna fish sandwich, but that is about it.

I know this is probably a difficult question to answer because taste is so subjective, but is there any other fish that taste somewhat like Mackerel?

Hi Bentley Meredith,

Thank you for your comment.

I would say Mackerel is mackerel, but I would say the taste or flavor or texture of the meat is a little similar to pacific saury. But they are different.

When you make Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi of mackerel(not only mackerels. I'll talk about it when I have enough time.), you really have to be careful because all of them has anisakid nematodes (worms) in the guts, only if they are wild ones.

If mackerel / horse mackerel or any other fish which have the worms would die, many of the worms would move into the muscle.

Even if the fish is fresh you have to be careful, if you like to make it Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi.

Very skillful Japanese professional chefs or cooks remove the worms from the muscle when they make Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi.

Because I didn't make it Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi this time , I didn't have to be careful about it, as I would grill the mackerel. All of the worms will be killed.

When I have time, I would talk about the worms in the guts of the fish.

You have to know how to enjoy or how to make Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi safely / properly.

I'm not a cook, but I am a licensed food safety supervisor in Japan.

Good night 😴

• Thanks Yukkie.

Wazza, I know Blue Fish from the Chesapeake Bay, very oil, pass.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Closest I can think of to mackerel would be herring. Others may have something closer, perhaps a fish we over here call Tailor - which is probably called Blue Fish in your part of the world.

Mackerel is ... a bit like pacific saury or horse mackerel. Horse mackerel... Probably pacific saury is much more like it...

In Japan, mackerel, horse mackerel, pacific saury, are called Áó-zákáná / Blue Fish 🤠

• Mackerel is an oily fish similar to all the tuna family , smoke well and can all be cured, Or eaten raw sashimi or sushi.

Hi BBQ Bushy,

How are you going?

When you make Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi of mackerel(not only mackerels. I'll talk about it when I have enough time.), you really have to be careful because all of them has anisakid nematodes (worms) in the guts, only if they are wild ones.

If mackerel / horse mackerel or any other fish which have the worms would die, many of the worms would move into the muscle.

Even if the fish is fresh you have to be careful, if you like to make it Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi.

Very skillful Japanese professional chefs or cooks remove the worms from the muscle when they make Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi.

Because I didn't make it Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi this time , I didn't have to be careful about it, as I would grill the mackerel. All of the worms will be killed.

When I have time, I would talk about the worms in the guts of the fish.

It is very important to get to know how to enjoy or how to make Ó-tsúkúrí / Sashimi safely / properly.

I'm not a cook, but I am a licensed food safety supervisor in Japan.

Have a lovely day 🌷

Edited once, last by Yukkie ().

• Post by Yukkie ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!