Char griller lump charcoal - old vs new

• G'day everyone,

I did a cook on the Primo tonight and the only charcoal I had on hand was some Char griller lump, which I got from Bunnings, probably over 5 years ago. The box I have says that it is made from hardwood, specifically Eucalyptus. However the box also indicates that it is the product of Vietnam.

While I was getting this up to a higher temp of about 250°C, it was giving off a 'swampy' smell which is very similar to some cheap mangrove charcoal that I had used previously.

I was checking the Char griller site today and it indicates that the lump is made from tropical fruit trees, specifically Longan.

While I would be happy to use my current charcoal stash for higher heat cooking, I would probably not want to use it for low temp cooking due to the smell.

Can anyone tell me if the 'new' Char griller lump from Bunnings (Longan wood) has a mangrove/swampy smell to it?

Has anybody used both the new type and the old type and noticed any difference in the smell?

Thanks for looking,

Steve

• I think VinaCharcoal is the supplier for the Chargriller charcoal.

https://charcoal.vn/

Eucalyptus is a popular tree to grow around the world because of its fast growth. In some places it is considered a pest. I was travelling in Spain and felt right at home among the gumtrees. A bit like the pine tree plantations we have except in reverse. It is VinaCharcoal cheapest charcoal.

I haven’t bought Chargriller charcoal from Bunnings for quite a few years now as it is too expensive and the Heat Beads lump is better.

Edited once, last by 12x7 ().

• Thanks 12x7 , I was trying to get hold of some Heatbeads lump, but it's disappeared from the Bunnings website. The Heatbeads site indicates that they're having supply problems, so deliveries to Bunnings have been suspended for the time being.

The other option is the Everdure by Heston lump, but I haven't found any reviews on it here yet. It also isn't on the Bunnings website, but I'm sure I saw a bag at my local one the other day.

• I cant remember where you are located Steve but look into your local resturant charcoal supply. Our local charcoals are pretty good and there will be a supplier around you.

If it smells like swamp its likely mangrove.

• I cant remember where you are located Steve but look into your local resturant charcoal supply. Our local charcoals are pretty good and there will be a supplier around you.

If it smells like swamp its likely mangrove.

G'day Geoffo , I'm at Batemans Bay (South coast NSW). Unfortunately there's no charcoal chicken type places around here.

I had the same thoughts re the swampy smell, unless it's just absorbed moisture from being stored for so long?

• I would respectfully disagree with this. Just because it smells swampy, does not mean it is mangrove charcoal. Depending on how it is made or conditions kept in, your charcoal can pick up a lot of different smells.

The box says Eucalyptus, but it is pretty old, so it may have absorbed some 'extra flavour' over the years <X .

• The box says Eucalyptus, but it is pretty old, so it may have absorbed some 'extra flavour' over the years <X .

It is always possible. Charcoal will readily take up any smell nearby, especially if that cardboard box ever got damp or is just gassing off.

There's quite a lot of eucalyptus trees all over Sth East Asia as it will grow quickly in tropical conditions. Lots of manufacturers use it and supply as generic "hardwood" charcoal, among other types of wood (eg coffee tree, tamarind, etc). We used to import a eucalyptus binchotan, but now have a better version made from lychee wood.

• Thanks 12x7 , I was trying to get hold of some Heatbeads lump, but it's disappeared from the Bunnings website. The Heatbeads site indicates that they're having supply problems, so deliveries to Bunnings have been suspended for the time being.

The other option is the Everdure by Heston lump, but I haven't found any reviews on it here yet. It also isn't on the Bunnings website, but I'm sure I saw a bag at my local one the other day.

I've been using the Heatbeads lump from Bunnings for years, very happy with it. After reading this thread last week, I thought I'd take a look at what's in it, and apart from saying it's made from trees, there's bugger-all info lol.

My local Bunnings was out of it on the weekend, but another one had some, so I thought I'd pick some up today...

Yeah well bad luck, me. None anywhere.

I have used that Heston stuff once in the past, probably due to Heatbeads being out of stock, and wasn't overly impressed. Can't remember exactly why, but I have a vague recollection of it not burning as hot as the HB lump, which i can get up past 450C with no probs.

• Hey Lovey not sure if your ever up the capital (Canberra ) way but the bloke at Capital Charcoal normally has a few different coals to buy ,

I’m currently using Emberpak coal and it’a reasonably priced , He normally Has a few options - clean heat, firebrand and an Argentina brand . All around the 50 bucks for 18k/ 20 kg bag

Not sure if Dwayne has coal but he does have lots of rubs and sauces .

I’ve got no affiliation other then to support local blokes havin ago !

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I have used the new Chargriller Lump previously but had never used the old stuff. It was nice big logs which fitted the Primo well.

I liked it but last lot did leave a bitter taste in some burgers I was cooking. :shrug: Could have just been me I am not sure.

I have now gone back to Gidgee mixed with some Roboturds and not had the problem.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

• Lovey i remembered I did a review on this stuff a little while ago. See link below.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Akorn Jr and Ziggy Portable.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!