First time home cured bacon

• First go at home cured bacon, won’t be the last.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Nice job and too good to be in the WDYC thread.

Can we have some detail on your method ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Ok, went and saw the great man Dwayne to purchase some rubs and grabbed a bacon cure while I was there. He has a few to choose from.

I’m not really into the sweet flavours so he directed me to the Deep South East one.

Bought a 2kg piece of pork belly from the local supermarket and followed the instructions. This one requires giving it a liberal coat of the cure and into an air sealed container or zip lock bag which is what I used.

Into the fridge for 6-8 days and then washed off and dried and onto the smoker.

I cooked it on the Masterbuilt with iron bark for smoke at 230f until it hit 150f internal.

Overall really impressed and definitely will be doing lots more.!

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Yep it’s pretty simple 👍🏼

Looks good :yum)

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• werewolf tasted great. This one had underlying flavours of fennel as it was in the cure.

• Interesting thanks! I've only ever followed the Jess Pyrles method, with loin, and thought each time the fat/ came out tasting rank. The meat itself amazing flavour, just a much denser texture than shop bacon. I cut off the rind before curing too

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• werewolf i use Jesses mix also and never had any complaints- I have modified it slightly over time - more salt less paprika. Brown suger or maple .

And it’s always turned out great .

I also use “misty gully “ bacon cure and it’s very hard to fault if you ask a me .!

And I love me bacon !

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• great work I've been seeing a few taking the leap recently at the end of the day quite proud of themselves bacon has never tasted so good enjoy mate 👌👍🍻

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!