Monro Gas Pizza Oven (Ooni Koda 12 clone/knockoff)

• I just picked one of these up. They are Monro branded and are an almost exact clone of the Koda 12 (the opening is shorter though). I've only had it running for about 40mins and it seems to hit 410c at the back in around 20/30min. Don't know if it has it to go to the advertised 500c without some kind of door. But for $249 (some Coles have put it down to $199), they are a steal. Comes with a cover and a peel. Have not cooked a pizza on it yet.

• That sounds great. Does the stone turn like a turntable? That would be handy with that sort of temp and no door.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• That sounds great. Does the stone turn like a turntable? That would be handy with that sort of temp and no door.

No, it does not have a turn table. These Ooni and Roccbox type pizza ovens rely on hand turning using a turning peel. This size pumps out 10-11" pizzas and is meant to be portable. There is a mod to add a turn table but it's 3rd party. For reference, the original Ooni Koda 12 sells for $650 currently.

• Thanks for your post. I went searching and found the last one in a corner at Coles. No longer coming up in their system. They put it through at $99. Wrapped with the buy and looking forward to giving it a go. Would love to hear of your experience with it.

• Thanks for your post. I went searching and found the last one in a corner at Coles. No longer coming up in their system. They put it through at $99. Wrapped with the buy and looking forward to giving it a go. Would love to hear of your experience with it.

Hi pizzaguy, i saw one at my local Coles, but the price tag is showing $299, would you be able to please share a copy of your receipt to show $99?

• My local has three left but at $249. I think we have the tightest manager ever, you see the meat with the reduced sticker on it, look closely at the sticker only to see they have taken 27c off the original price.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• The bottom looks OK to me.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I've used mine 3 times now and love it. Made dough using Caputo Pizzeria flour (5kg for $15.99 from Italian grocer) using this recipe: https://www.copymethat.com/r/Hi4jgEqaw/th…-vito-iacopell/ and they came out beautiful. Yes, the base does not get very crispy, but then again neapolitan pizza is quite soggy and the pizza as a whole tasted better than even my local Italian pizza shop. Crusts are crispy yet full of air with nice leopard spotting. This was a great buy and so happy to have got it for $99. Just goes to show how overpriced Ooni and the like are, you are just paying for the name. Only thing I would change about this one is to add a burner at one side to help bring the temperature up a bit towards the front of the oven, and make the opening a bit wider.

• I've used it once for pizza so far. I've never made pizza like this before so super amateur hour. I cover the opening a bit to pre-heat faster/even out the heat distribution (though I don't cover it completely as gas obviously needs airflow). I didn't aim for neapolitan type pizza so wasn't expecting a super fast cook. I got stone to about 380-390c in the middle, launch pizza, then turn flames down to low so the top doesn't overcook before the bottom does. Some people even turn off the flame at this step. Wait a bit, rotate, wait a bit, then put flames back on high and rotate again. Done in a bout 6mins or so. I've ordered a door so hopefully it'll make things easier.

Gotta learn to put less toppings on as too much moisture and the dough won't cook through. Also when I'll be doing these for guests, I might stretch and sauce dough, then par-cook it a little in the pizza oven, then take out and lay on trays. This will hopefully allow my guests to put as much toppings as they want while still getting good crust and make me less stressed lol

EDIT: One other thing, the included peel is NOT great for launching, only good for retrieval. Highly recommend you get a perforated peel for launching. This allows you to use a lot of flour/semolina so the dough doesn't stick, but also shake off excess before launching so you don't get a lot of burnt flour. It also is good to have a cold launching peel that is separate from retrieval peel.

• I ended up biting the bullet for $229. Haven’t set it up and never used a pizza oven before, let alone made pizza… best tips for using this oven? What are you guys using for a door. Happy Pizza making!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!