• Saw that one of the local butchers was advertising brahman hump, so had to give it a go! The amount of fat in this thing is probably pushing a 60:40 ratio.

The centre looks a bit grey in the pic, but it was still 'blooming' after coming out of the cryovac, it all went evenly red not long after.

Started at about 3.5kgs, probably removed 7-800g in trim.

Coated with Perth Bbq school Ruckus rub, and into the UDS with a mixture of heat beads, heat beads lump and banksia cones.

Set the inkbird fan controller at 240F , and cooked in a similar fashion to brisket.

With the fan controller working incredibly well, I decided to drop temp to 230F to try and prolong the cook. With the amount of fat to render, i figure the longer the better. Took about 8 hours to get to 196F, at which point I did away with the probes and went by feel, til it probed like butter

Served up on tacos with some easy slaw. Great feed!

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• Excellent write up and what a great looking chunk of beef that is !

How long did it take for the whole cook and did you rest it. I assume no foil ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Gumb about 8 or 9 hours all up. Wrapped in butchers paper once I was happy with the bark. Rested for about an hour afterwards in the butchers paper, in an esky. 👍

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• Looks great. I've tried it once but never cooked it, it's on my list.

Which butcher?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Great feed! :clap:

I've cooked cupim once which I think is the same cut and thought it was one of the best beef cooks ever. How much fat did you catch?

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Don't ask 🙊

When I cooked cupim, I went the sous vide route. By the end of it I had more fat in the bag than meat, but it was delicious, tender and flavourful. I regret not doing more with the fat though.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Gumb i was going to make some tallow with the trim, I've got a cheap spudshed brisket in the freezer that Im going to guess will be pretty lean, that could probably do with a bit of help.

But my wife threw all the trim in the bin before I got a chance to use it!

I reckon I could have run my hilux for a year on the drippings from the wrap!

• Now there’s something you don’t see every day. Great cook.

Oh interestingly found this “beef tallow is a by-product of cattle slaughter plants, which has become the second most important raw material for biodiesel production after soybeans in many countries”… bet the greenies love that! Imagine puttering around leaving beef fumes behind!

• My local IGA has it, think they are own by a Brazilian as they have picanha, flank steak, tri tip, chicken hearts. Great place to get BBQ meats

It's not bad, but I prefer picanha/rump cap for the same price.

Sounds fantastic; I wish there were decent IGAs around my area. I know there are some good ones in Perth but the ones I've seen in Canberra are glorified 7/11s.

Chicken hearts are great on skewers. I used to buy them at midnight outside one of the pubs we spent too much time at, in Shanghai.

• Bduza The IGA in Ainslie is the exception to this. Carry a great line of meat for BBQ.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Yum, I saw want to cook one of these. :yum) :yum) :yum)

Bduza I had chicken hearts at a Brazilian restaurant; better than I thought they would be! It was one of those places where there is about 15 different types of meat and it just keeps coming. I, um, got my value worth... <X

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• Yum, I saw want to cook one of these. :yum) :yum) :yum)

Bduza I had chicken hearts at a Brazilian restaurant; better than I thought they would be! It was one of those places where there is about 15 different types of meat and it just keeps coming. I, um, got my value worth... <X

Brazilian bbq nights are great. The cinnamon pineapple does a great job of cutting through the feeling of too much meat, allowing me to eat even more meat.

I always end up with the meat sweats though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!