Fresh Tortillia's...

• Living in Central & Southern California for 45 years, I came to love SoCal-Mex/Sonoran food a great deal. If you enjoy this type of food, there is nothing better then a fresh, warm flour or corn tortilla, specially flour! With the help of our own Urban Griller, I tried a flour tortilla recipe he suggested. It is pretty dang good. I also tried an Allrecipes today for corn. I ended up getting a new toy for the project and am glad I did as it make all the difference over a rolling pin and cooking them. It is a 25cm press. Here is a synopsis of what I have done.

T56Ea3ch.jpg

w7U0mgDh.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

Edited once, last by Bentley Meredith ().

• Video shows a little more detail. I like a 30 to 35cm flour (I like Big burritos) they just don't make a home press that size, you would need to custom build or buy at a place like Restaurant Depot!

Flour Tortillas

TVpKVoOh.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

Edited once, last by Bentley Meredith ().

• Combo Burrito...Beef, Bean, PepperJack Cheese and Onions.

Fy7DWU5h.jpg

BrrsAfNh.jpg

• And on to the corn...

Recipe called for masa and warm water. To get more flavor next time, I think I will use warm beef stock, a little lard and add a pinch of salt. I might even add a touch of baking powder to see if I can get that slight chew. I think I may have over pressed #1. I see on a store package that 3 corn tortilla's are 56g. I was not about to try a 19g tortilla. These were about 50g, would probably do 40g next time. I will make a few more and deep fry. I have never really been a warm corn tortilla guy. In Baja, I got no choice, here I think I may see about frying. This stuff is so easy to make with a tortilla press, no reason to ever have store bought again!

I will say, this would be a street taco for me. Simple, onions and salsa. All it is missing for me is the pico de gallo, which I did not have.

OdT1D8yh.jpg

bLJkXcRh.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!