Charcoal Supply issues

• I went down to see Terry at Aussie BBQ Smoke today and picked up 7 bags of red gum lump for $40/bag. He said that mallee root is just about impossible to buy and is expensive if you can find any and would probably cost around $50-60/bag He reckons they've just about exhausted the supply and there's nothing left to burn which could be partly due to new regulations.

Anyway, he sells to lots of charcoal chicken places and since red gum isn't a suitable alternative charcoal for them, many are closing down and more will follow. This will also effect other food places which use open flame charcoal grills. He's got some iron bark coming but only had red gum in stock which he reckons isn't any good for low and slow in a kamado but I've used red gum in the egg many times and haven't had that problem.

Anyway, it was an interesting discussion and one which is a bit of a worry.

Great charcoal though, the red gum bags are about 18-20kg.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• which could be partly due to new regulations.

What regulations?

Over here, because we were stupid enough to had a Government both houses (don't care which party, never give them complete control), they have closed down a very sustainable forestry industry, all Jarrah logging is now going to be shut down. The way it was managed it was 200 years before the regrowth was logged. Now we will simply import Orangutan houses, aka rain forest to replace the hardwood supply. And we both know which industry is sustainable.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• red gum in stock which he reckons isn't any good for low and slow in a kamado but I've used red gum in the egg many times and haven't had that problem.

Why does he think its no good ?

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• If thats the case im glad i just stocked up. I ordered 30kg from The place i get it from but the guy said the supplier only packed 8-9kgs in each bag not 10 so he gave me an extra bag to make up the difference. So i think i got about 36kgs for the price of 30.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Why does he think its no good ?

I didn’t pursue that part of the discussion but I think he said it tends to block the air flow as it burns away because it doesn’t create any ash. Now I’m trying to work out what having little or no ash has got to do with blocking the airflow. I would have though creating more ash would block it, not less.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I've been struggling to find decent charcoal recently. I was hunting around for mallee root but like Gumb said, there is a massive shortage and I had heard that the supply had run out.

From memory, is red gum harder to light and may go out on a low and slow?

I just got a bag of Pit Boss branded charcoal, it wasn't cheap but not too expensive either. It's all hardwood and big chunks of it too.

The same place I got that had plenty of cheaper stuff, but I suspect it's 'mangrove' charcoal and unless you're doing a higher heat cook, I find it puts off a smell at lower temps.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Avoid mangrove at all costs. It's crap.

I haven't found any problems lighting red gum but it's a while since I've had any from Terry. I've been getting by on assorted brands from Bunnings until my restock yesterday. He's expecting ironbark to be back in stock towards the end of this month and that's what he recommends for low and slow. I think that would be harder to get going though.

• Post by Gumb ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: wrong - he's out of stock too ().
  • What regulations?

Over here, because we were stupid enough to had a Government both houses (don't care which party, never give them complete control), they have closed down a very sustainable forestry industry, all Jarrah logging is now going to be shut down. The way it was managed it was 200 years before the regrowth was logged. Now we will simply import Orangutan houses, aka rain forest to replace the hardwood supply. And we both know which industry is sustainable.

I didn't go in to it but I think it's a similar story to yours. The govt here shut down the Heyfield mill a couple of years ago and now there's a drastic shortage of pine for the building industry. Couple that with regualtions about sacred indiginous sites and what you are not allowed to remove from the forest floor to appease the green lobby and it's getting too hard for some to continue.

• Opened my new bag today, ready for a roast chicken tonight and a slow roast chuck tomorrow.

• I started the low and slow this morning but as Terry said, the fire went out after a couple of hours. X(

I was using the Tip Top Temp and after taking out the charcoal at the bottom, I found the air holes in the ash basket were blocked. Even adding the Cyber Q fan to try and get it going again didn't help. I think the combination of the ash basket, being a lot of small holes and the TTT was just too restrictive for the required airflow.

I removed the small bits blocking the holes and took the TTT off. I've put the CyberQ on and it's been fine for several hours now, in fact I'm having to keep an eye on it because I increased the setting to 175 and it's running at just over 300. That's OK though, the meat has been wrapped.

• I went to my local Lebanese grocer and the charcoal I got today, same as the last lot was down from 15kg to 10kg bags. Supposedly Mallee Root, they had mangrove as well but like others I am not a fan.

Bunnings had pallets of coconut heat beads spread throughout the store.

Both charcoal and coconut heat beads were $2.50/kg

• Unless they have old stock, I doubt it's mallee root. I tried AP Fuel Merchants who have been around a long time and they haven't been able to get mallee root for months.

Update on the charcoal going out. The Cyber Q held it at the set temp just fine for another 4 hours so that's all good. When the meat was done, I took the Cyber Q off, opend the vents and let it rip. It got up to 400c with the small amount of fuel left no problems at all.

• I agree Gumb, the Mangrove they had was in a different bag and had Mangrove written on it, this stuff was in a blue bag. I've been using that in the Kamado for hot stuff and the coconut in the MB560 for low and slow. It isn't giving off the mangrove swampy smell, so who knows what it is

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!