Reverse seared scotch on the BGE

• I bought a beautiful looking 400g scotch the other day ($51/kg) and decided to fire up the BGE wich had a small amount of charcoal left in the fire box.

I went for a reverse sear so I used the extender rack from the Asmoke with a doubled sheet of HD foil under it as a deflector.

Here's the setup

The spuds were par boiled and coated with oil. I did them direct for a while and put the steak on the extender rack.

When the steak got to about 110f, I put it on the direct part of the lower grill and put the spuds on the extender rack to keep warm.

Because I like mine rare and the boss likes hers medium, I cut it in portions (mine is the biggy) and they got a light sear. The rack was still a reasonable way above the charcoal but that's OK, it wasn't so much the sear as the end result I was after.

I took mine off at 120f and hers at 135. We were both very happy with the result and the red wine too, of course. It was one of the best I've done and melt in the mouth tender. That's why I never order steak at a restaurant, it would only be second best after what we can do at home on a good BBQ.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Boy Meets Girl. Just a basic drop, nothing flash. I think I got it from Naked Wines with a pack they sent when we decided to give them a try. Most of it was just ok so we didn’t go on with that subscription.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• What reverse sear recipe(?) did you follow for that?

I used Serious Eats method, and while it's a little bit of pissfarting around with the foil tent etc, the results have caused me to forsake my Sous Vide (and all the hypermasculine street cred that comes with it lol) for thick steaks.

• No recipe, it's called trial and error. Hopefully not much of the latter.

• This was from my first crack at it, before I tossed the probe and went with feel to gauge cookedness

This may look like a Kamado, but it's actually a portal straight to the fires of hell

My stupid phone said "would you like to use food mode" and I stupidly said "yes", and it then proceeded to blur most of the pic but w/e turns out that hell may have some downsides, but they have bloody good steaks lol

• farting around with the foil tent etc,

Or for the lazy just slap them on a plate and cover with foil. You’re only tenting (rather than wrapping) to keep the surface dry while getting the coals to temp. I don’t believe it really makes a difference to be honest.

Rather than faff about with a tent you could try the patented, no-fuss, double aluminium tray method aka dubbing. Ie use a foil tray and another one upside down as a lid. If you want to be really OTT put a rack in to stop the steak sitting in its own juice. Bonus is the trays are reusable.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!