Men's workwear fashion peaked in the 70's / early 80's

• This is coming from my experience of working in the city in Perth, but I believe it applies to most of Australia. Perth is hot, damn hot. Walking down the Terrace holding your suit jacket, full length suit pants, long sleeve shirt with French cuffs and cuff links and a silk tie - sweating and sweating and sweating. Then I remembered a more sensible time, I remembered how my Dad went to work, far more suitable for our climate.

So who is with me fellas, is it time for us to make a woke change to combat rising temperatures and the impact they have on the working man?

Time for us to go woke, as they say all things come back into fashion, especially when it makes global warming sense. Our new workwear:

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I’m hearing ya, I work in construction on commercial sites and do do mainly fit out. Some of the companies I do work for have decided to go with the tier one approach which is long sleeve’s, long pants, gloves, glasses, and hard hats add to that now the mandatory masks. Fantastic working conditions in 30 plus temps.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• The day that walking socks come back into fashion, is the day I walk off this earth.

That's a fair way to walk, you'll be wanting the fashion shorts and the walking socks, as long pants may be too hot and you may not get there.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Ok, so I think I have pretty much heard most things, and there is probably very little that will make me raise my eye brows. I actually wished in hind sight I had written down all the things you say after having children that you thought you'd never say before having children.

Some include; don't draw on the bread, stop biting the dog, and quick, the twins are halfway up the windscreen of the Volvo with their tricycle in hand.

But I'm just not sure what to do with this one?

I have never wanted to be reincarnated as a pair of shorts... Until now....

Although I wouldn't mind coming back as a tennis ball at a professional Woman's tennis tournament. Especially the ball reserved for the 2nd serve.

• I agree that Mens office attire is silly. Women get to wear skirts & dresses with short sleeve shirts or singlets & guys are expected to wear long pants & long sleeve shirt. I'm glad its now acceptable for men to wear chinos to the office instead of black dress pants. Thankfully my office is okay with men wearing polo shirts to the office so i take full advantage of that & wear chinos & a polo.

Nice dress short & a short sleeve dress shirt & some nice shoes would be far more comfortable daily that long longs.

I do work for have decided to go with the tier one approach which is long sleeve’s, long pants, gloves, glasses, and hard hats add to that now the mandatory masks. Fantastic working conditions in 30 plus temps.

Don't forget you need to have the wide brim on the hard hat with the neck sun protector to stop ANY breeze you might feel on open skin

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Makes me think of an old news story from back home, the national rail network came out with new uniform regulations one summer. Being PC they made no mention of allowed male or female attire but they outright banned wearing shorts.

With the cabs not being airconditioned the male drivers got rightfully pissed but soon figured out a workaround...they started rocking up to work in skirts.

• I fully support this wardrobe change. I had a meeting in the city the other day and looked at my suit and just couldn't bring my self to put it on so popped on some jeans and a short sleeved collar shirt.

However, I have a function later today that I have to attend that probably requires a suit... I'm not sure I'll be dressed for the occasion though as a suit and mask on public transport = sweat city... saves on sauna fees though I guess...

I think I've gotten softer since the borders have been closed. I use to travel to Singapore about once a year for work. While I would get away with shorts and a t-shirt in the office there, when attending meetings and functions a suit and tie was expected and it was always waaaay too humid. Thankfully taxis are relatively cheap there compared to Perth and work would pay for them :D

• I remember a story and accompanying vid that was making the rounds in the office, when I used to work at one of our larger supermarket chains. Incident was at our Wyong Distribution Centre.

A truckie rocked up to the gatehouse for a delivery, but was refused entry for not wearing a high vis vest and steel capped boots. Driver was a bit incredulous, but asked if that was all he needed to complete his delivery. Security guard said yes, and told him the local safety wear store opened at 8:30am. Driver left on the proviso he could be let straight back in after getting the gear (normally if you miss your timeslot, you're SOL). At 9am, driver is back with his load, wearing the vest and boots.... and nothing else.

Normally we would have scoffed at this story, but since there was CCTV footage from the guardhouse and driver rest area, we had to believe it was true.

• I've worked in Transport for longer than I care to admit and i have no trouble believing that story

I worked in HR, and I also have no problem believing that story.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!