Camping power pack

• Is this the beginning of the end for petrol powered camping generators?

I got delivery of my latest toy today, a Bluetti EB70 power pack.

It will charge mulitple 12 and 240v devices at the same time and run 240v appliances with a built-in 1000w inverter. I reckon it will be great for extra power to run the fridge when off-grid camping or on a cold night we can warm up the bed by running the electric blanket for an hour.

(I managed to get approval by telling the other half that it will the power the blanket and her small 240v hair dryer which we take away. ^^)

I'll use it to charge the chainsaw battery, drone battery and lap top as well. So many uses but it's just a bit under powered for the coffee machine unfortunately.

Here it is charging two mobile phones, a drill battery, the lap top and running a small desk fan while only drawing 39w. The total available is advertised as 700w but in reality the usable power is a bit under that. It also has a built-in light but I doubt I'd be using that very much.

It can be recharged by 240v, solar using panels up to 200w which is what I have, or via a car cigarette plug as you drive.

I ran the hair dryer on full and it was drawing 990w so that was a good result. She said she'd only need it on low when it draws about 570w.

There are a number of sizes in the Bluetti range from 55w up to 2500w but they get big and heavy at the top end. One I think couild be good is the 1500 but I decided to keep the weight and size down and went for the 70.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• It certainly seems the way forward. Will be interesting to know how long it takes to charge back up though when on the road. Would also come in handy if it's charged up and you are home and there's a power outage. Can make sure you can keep devices charged up, watch Netflix ^^

Also keen to know what the expected life of the battery is? I know some of the earlier trepidation to battery power generators was the lifespan of the batteries to hold enough charge. Although, there's been a lot of advancements in battery tech over the years so it's probably a non-issue now 8o

From memory (it was a long time ago) the comparison I saw was that a battery generator was expected to hold a full charge for something like two-to-three years. The lifespan of traditional portable generators run on fuel was something like 10-to-20 years... Although it should also be noted that just because a battery generator can't hold a full charge after those initial 2 years of use... it is still usable for many more years, it's just the amount of run time you get will vary...

• Charging via the car cigarette plug takes 6 hours so it's not the best option. That's going from flat to full so I think connecting it as we travel a typical day it would get 3-4 hours and that should top it up nicely.

AC Adapter
    About 3-3.5 Hrs (200W)
    Car ChargerAbout 6-6.5 Hrs (12V) / About 3Hrs (24V)
    200W Solar Panel
    About 3-3.5 Hrs(max./12-18V 8A,MPPT)
    Gas-Fired GeneratorAbout 3-3.5 Hrs (Full recharge)
    AC adapter + Solar PanelAbout 1.8-2.3 Hrs
    Dual AC adapter(400W)About 1.8-2.3 Hrs

The larger units will certainly run a fridge at home, I'm not sure about this one yet but will give it a try. I have a basic petrol generator in the garage in case of power outages. A fact of life in Victoria now.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep last year when I went up North I was looking at something similar.

Ultimately I simply went with a Second battery system (Lithium 100Ah) however that does not include an inverter.

If I wanted an Inverter I could add one to the system but we are fine with a) no hairdryer and b) no coffee pod machine whilst camping.

I haven't invested in a solar blanket yet as the trip we went on we were driving generally every day which recharges the battery. I am going camping over Easter so may need to invest.

I am looking at a 200W blanket of some description maybe this one at this point.

200w Heavy Duty Portable Solar Mat - No Regulator - Hardkorr Australia
    When you're travelling off the beaten track and need to be able to rely on your solar panels, this 200w heavy duty solar mat is your absolute best choice. It…
    hardkorr.com

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I am looking at a 200W blanket of some description maybe this one at this point.

I have used Kickass since 2017 when I bought their 150W ultra light set but just upgraded this week to their 200w set for $469.

KickAss 12v 200W Portable Camping Solar Panel
    The all NEW KickAss Super Thin Solar Panel Range is revolutionising the 12V portable solar panel market. Constructed from A-Grade Monocrystalline Solar Cells…
    www.australiandirect.com.au

• Is this the beginning of the end for petrol powered camping generators?

We still use a generator on our fishing trips. We are running a household chest freezer, and 3 Engels. between 7 and 10 blokes though, totally off grid...

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Would also come in handy if it's charged up and you are home and there's a power outage.

I just hooked it up to our fridge and it runs fine. Power draw when the fridge is running is about 115W so it should run it easily over night, given that the fridge cysles on and off. If power stays off, I'll drag out the generator but this things seems great for stand-by short term power.

We still use a generator on our fishing trips. We are running a household chest freezer, and 3 Engels. between 7 and 10 blokes though, totally off grid...

You'd certainly need a generator for that many thirsty blokes :)

• The next step in our camping set up is to give us better off-grid capability. We currently have a 3 way fridge so we don't need power for anythign outside of strip lighting and charging phones (although that's not so important when camping off grid). However, we want to upgrade the fridge and 3-way fridges are much bigger than the equivalent size without gas and the size of a gas bottle, so if we can drop that it would be good.

We were thinking originally of deep cycle battery and battery box with solar, but recently I have been seeing these sorts of things with Lithium Ion batteries and think it might be the way to go instead.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• Gumb yep saw that too you better give me some thoughts on it as $$$ wise it appears better.

dazzmaster have a look at Lithium batteries. Yes more expensive but Lighter in weight and will discharge to 5% (I think) as opposed to AGM which only discharge to 50% (I think).

We run a 95 Litre dual zone Dometic fridge in the back of the ute (yes overkill but that's what she wanted). It will run for about two days without any charging on the 100Ah battery. If I need charge I can just turn the car on and let it run and it will top up in about 3 hours that's at 30Ah per hour recharge. I think that's what a car generates via the alternator. :shrug:

If I am stationary for longer than two days like Easter upcoming I will just plug the solar blanket in during the day and recharge at about 11Ah per hour. If its raining and cloudy I will start the vehicle if needed.

The Battery is actually in a Battery Box and has a DCDC charger (Enerdrive) so plugging solar in is no dramas.

There is a disparity between the AGM & Lithium Batteries. I simply opted for the buy once / cry once with the $$$$ involved.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• I have one of these, charged by vehicle as driving, solar when camping, runs engel fridge,

and has usb charge ports etc, i just run a deep cycle battery in it, has a small inverter, i think only 300watts, pretty much useless, but i dont have a need for it, it will not run a lithium, does what i want

• I am seriously thinking lithium in the Tvan when the 2 100ah Fullriver AGMs die. They are coming up to 5 years now and still going strong but as you said Jimmy70 , I can only use half the available power. That's been fine for all our trips except the one to Tassie when we had cloud in camp for 3 days and we were out and about so I couldn't leave my solar panels out. I did start the car for a while but unlike lithium, they take a while to charge, even though the Tvan has a 1240 Redarc in it.

• The weight saving alone Gumb makes it worth it. Ultimately that is what swayed me. If you are towing you have now freed up more weight to take other stuff with you.

You could replace those two batteries with one 200Ah Lithium.

What are some differences between Lithium and AGM batteries? - Sealed Performance Batteries
    Different Lithium Technologies Firstly, it is important to note that there are many types of “Lithium Ion” batteries. The point to note in this definition…
    www.sealedperformance.com.au

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• True, weight can be an issue but in the Tvan it's not really a problem because it has an ATM of only 1500kg and the batteries are just behind the axle so they don't add anything to the ball weight. In fact they reduce it to a small extent. When I do change to lithium, I'll get 2 so I'll have ample power.

• Chester i was looking at that one and some similar ones but ultimately just bit the bullet and put the extra battery in. I am really happy I did now it has a Engel plug, cigarette plug, usb plugs and the Anderson’s for the solar. It has an on / off switch as well and the good thing about Lithium is it doesn’t degrade like AGM batteries. I simply switch it off until I am going to use it.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Bump

Ok campers, this is for my son. He's just purchased a couple of year old Pajero Sport, and has now grabbed a 81 litre dual zone fridge. He rang me asking about power options, but my powere options are old school, 100Ah in the camper with solar.

He is going to be camping out of his car, at least for a while, I'm guessing tent or swag. He's not quite 20 yet so does not have the need for the inner spring mattress like I do, and can handle getting an 80lfridge out the back of the car.

He was initially asking about dual battery setup, but I'm wondering if a more portable option could be the go, something along the lines of Bluetti, Arc Battery Box and others like the Engel version. He'll need to be able to charge on the go, so do the new ones charge faster off the car, or will getting anderson plug fitted be a better option. He will also need to at times store and transport his bike in the back of the car, so I'm trying to stay away from permanent mounting and strapping the fridge to the tie down points.

Over to the brains trust.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Hi Wazza, as my post above, i am still using and loving the powerhub, on my second battery in it,

only thing with modern alternator, he will still need a dc/dc charger on a anderson to charge from vehicle, i have a older vehicle and just charge through a redark solenoid, cheers

Chester.

• In my first Ute I had a 100ah Lithium in a Hardkorr Battery box. Lighter weight. I had a dc2dc charger as well. Not a huge setup but given it was lithium it worked. Yep that’s my old setup above your post.

Better discharge than AGM (Lithium will discharge down to 5-10% vs AGM of 50%) and the weight is so much less.

I ran a 95L Dometic fridge and the only time I had issues with the charge was when we were stationary for 2 days.

If he is moving all the time it won’t be a problem as every hour he drives he gets 30 - 40 ah recharged via dc2dc.

Daughter has a Jimny and was looking at this as an option.

ATG Batteries V2 105Ah Slimline Lithium Bonza Battery Box
    The 100Ah Slim-line Bonza ATG Battery Box is an all in one portable deep cycle lithium LifePO4 battery solution for the weekend warrior or person in need of a…
    www.access12voltwarehouse.com.au

Wazza they are based in Perth as well. Company is ATG batteries.

Maybe worth investigating. But he will still need a dc2dc option to recharge on the go. Can also charge via 240v apparently.

Although it talks about charging via car charging. Make sure to check that out. From memory my daughter talked about it coming with a 5-10ah dc2dc charger. Obviously that’s a lot slower than a dedicated 40ah dc2dc.

There is also this.

Nomadpdu
    nomadpdu power distribution unit is a leading lightweight power supply for Camping, 4wd, Marine, Off grid , Free camping and commercial applications . #lithium…
    nomadpdu.com.au

Again portable.

A while ago I think Nomad used ATG as a battery supplier and obviously had a falling out. You will see the old Nomad PDU looks exactly like the ATG Bonza.

Now I have 200ah slimline lithium in my Ute (inside a alloy canopy) both dc2dc, solar blanket and 240v charge options. 2000w inverter and portable induction cooktop. Set up for camping.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Edited once, last by Jimmy70 (March 20, 2024 at 9:44 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!