Thermapen alternative

• Hi guys, what is the best budget instant read thermometer available in Australia?

Looking for my neighbour who is a part time bbqer.

Thanks Stewie

Royal Kamado, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Baby Q, Weber OTP,Weber Jumbo Joe, Dragon Hibachi, Auspit, Multikai + a couple of portables.

• Ink Bird is a good one.

Chris has some nice ones too.

Temperature Probes - Urban Griller BBQ School | Specialty BBQ Products
    Temperature Accurate temperature measurement is the single most important tool in successful BBQ Cooking. Internal temperature will tell you exactly where you…
    urbangriller.com

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Javelin Pros are only slightly slower then Thermopen Mk4, and $110 on Urban Griller's store (I was just looking at one lol). Thermopen One is the king of speed but at $$$.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• This is the one I recommend. We give one to everyone who comes to a class.

I've had mine for 4 years and it has not missed a beat!

Screen flips when you have it in your other hand (I love that)

Waterproof so you can leave it out in the rain (been there, done that!)

Good value and does everything the more expensive ones do.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's the one I use too. Very happy with it.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep agree. My first one just failed 10+ years on. Was an ETI refirb with the same warranty as new. Something to consider for considerably less.

I have an ETI refurbed thermopen as well, paid $65 from memory 8+ years ago, its on its third set of batteries and still going strong. Cant weigh in on the others as mine was my first and I havnt needed to try another. The damn thing has only ever needed batteries.

• speaking of temp probes, been meaning to fit a temp gauge to the weber kettle lid, but wondering if i can just poke one of these through the top vent as a bit of an indicator? Ive got a Meater that serves this purpose for the most part, its really just to get an idea of whats happening inside as sometimes i find my fuel seems to die out a bit and the temp drops towards the end or ive made it too damn hot. Course i could also use the pen to check another meat slab if a was cooking 2, so thats a bonus.

Thoughts please?

• I tried putting my thermometer in the top vent but it's better to measure the temp at grill level to give a better indication of what's happening around the food rather than where the heat is more concentrated at the top.

• was there much difference in the temp at the vent and the front? Appreciate that it's not as accurate however even if it was within 20 degrees I'd be happy.

• Can't remember, sorry. It's been on there like that for a looooong time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!