Plane and other flying stuff Thread

• There's a thread for car discussions, but I didn't see one for planes and other flying stuff, so I made one (it's this one, in case that wasn't immediately clear).

A friend sent me this vid - I'd read transcripts of this event, but never heard the actual pilot talk about it, and I really enjoyed it. The SR-71 is (IMO) the greatest plane ever built, followed by the B1. Feel free to post vids/pics/links etc if you agree and/or if you don't :D :D

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That guy (Brian Shul) tells some great stories. Lots of recordings of his talks on YT. All worth listening to / watching.
    I finally got to see a Blackbird in person a few years back when I visited LA. They look as awe-inspiring in the flesh as you can imagine. Never seen a B1 in person, but def. on my bucket list.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• The thing which really spins me out about this plane is how quickly “we” got there. The Wright brother’s plane first flew in 1903 and by 1964 the SR-71 was taking off. That’s an insane rate of progress.

Imagine being ten years old at Kittyhawk and within the same lifetime at 71 the blackbird flies over your head at Mach 3.

• The thing which really spins me out about this plane is how quickly “we” got there. The Wright brother’s plane first flew in 1903 and by 1964 the SR-71 was taking off.

Wow, hadn't thought of it like that, it's even less time if you consider the XB-70 which came about in the 50's, but never went into production.

What really cracked me up about that video is I could picture the other pilots sitting in their plane listening to the conversation. They would have heard the FA-18 and pretty quickly worked out a Navy jet, but when the speed from the SR-71 gets called out I just pictured the guy in the Cessna saying out loud "what in the actual :censored: is that????".

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Never seen a B1 in person, but def. on my bucket list.

I've never seen a Blackbird in person so you've got me there, but when I lived in Chicago, I got to see the B1 a few times. Never got any good pics, but here's a rubbish pic of one about to fly through between the buildings, bank out over the lake, then drop the hammer. Took this from the roof of the building I lived in - the glass was filthy and as Bentley Meredith may be able to attest, Midwestern summers have absolutely vile humidity. There's enough moisture in the air to give a light-fog look, which is great for taking pics of B1's thru glass from 2 miles away lmfao.

My fave B1 moment was from the end of an airshow - I was back in my apartment having had my fill of the sweltering rooftop experience, and was watching the final few flyby's, when from the right (looking towards downtown) I saw a B1 heading North up the lake, hugging the shoreline, towards me.

Cool, never get tired of watching these beasts.

As it's approaching my building, the pilot banked hard right to head out over the lake, which was bloody awesome as it was pretty much at my eye level. and punched it - afterburners flat-f'ing-stick. I remember the 4 engines going from dark to glowing bright white/red, and the massive jet started shrinking at an amazing rate.

Then the sound hit. I can't really describe it, bass combined with an aria from the choir of hell as Satan pokes their bumholes with red hot pokers would be as close as I can get. The windows shook, and I'm grinning like an idiot as I re-live it.

Then, after several seconds of this, the pilot yanked back and the B1 shot (what looked from my perspective) straight up, disappearing into the clouds and burning itself into my memory.

Bloody Awesome.

Searching for that B1 pic, I came across this one, also from the building roof, not sure if same year. The Thunderbirds were the star attraction, instead of the Blue Angels (yeah, the things you have to put up with living there) and this year my building was at the North end of one of the loops they flew. The first time one used it, I was caught by surprise - I was watching East over the lake looking for/at planes, when this white thing shot into my peripheral vision followed by the thundering scream as it shot by. After I kicked several fecal deposits away from directly under me, muttering something about "bloody dogs shouldn't be allowed in the building", I kept an eye out, and got this pic the next time he looped around. Dead set, it was so close it was breathtaking.

• Totally awesome KamadoJosephine Fantastic! Love both pics, but the first def tops it. When I said I wanted to "see" a B1, that experience you described is actually what I meant - I've heard that they are pretty amazing to see when they light the afterburners but I didn't think of the sound as well. OMG!

I also lived in the midwest for a bit, back in the mid 90's. Lived about 2 hours south of Chicago (Purdue Uni in Indiana). Only got to spend a few days in Chicago but still got a soft spot for that city.

Have you seen Maury Rosenberg's talks on his time flying the SR-71. Well worth listening to / watching:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• It is very humid in Chicago in summer!

They did fly overs ever year I lived in Pasadena, The year of this game was the last Rose Bowl fly over I lived in Pasadena. As it crossed over the stadium in this video, it banks to the right. My house was about 3km away and it would fly over it each time. A sight to see at 600m off the ground.

B 2 Fly Over.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• They did fly overs ever year I lived in Pasadena, The year of this game was the last Rose Bowl fly over I lived in Pasadena. As it crossed over the stadium in this video, it banks to the right. My house was about 3km away and it would fly over it each time. A sight to see at 600m off the ground.

B 2 Fly Over.

#nowords

• Roulettes flying around Canberra today -

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

Edited once, last by BBQbushy (April 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM).

• RIP Peter Woodland

Australian Business man and Helicopter Pilot Peter Woodland was the pilot identified who died in the Helicopter crash in the Snowy Mountains Somewhere between Jindabyne and Khancoban when the last sign of the aircraft was known before it was lost. His 64 yr old partner perished in the crash as well.

Peter Woodland was also the Co-founder of Barbeques Galore and Beefeater (i'm thinking that could have actually been Beefmaster as apposed to Beefeater as the former was a Barbeques Galore Brand.

Pilot killed in 'horrific' Snowy Mountains helicopter crash identified (9news.com.au)

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Bad weather and probably the same cause of the crash last week near Melbourne which killed 5.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• That guy (Brian Shul) tells some great stories. Lots of recordings of his talks on YT. All worth listening to / watching.
    I finally got to see a Blackbird in person a few years back when I visited LA. They look as awe-inspiring in the flesh as you can imagine. Never seen a B1 in person, but def. on my bucket list.

Might add that it's well worth reading his book on the matter, "Sled Driver". It's long since out of print and prices for second hand copies is astronomical to say the least but if you go looking for it there's .pdf "copies" that can be found and downloaded for free.
    It's got some iconic images taken by Brian, he had better access to the airframe than just about anyone.

Been an aviation nut for years but don't bother going out of my way for airshows and the like. But if I do have the camera handy when something interesting comes flying past I'll happily bang off a few frames.

51808239532_734030062f_c.jpg

DSC02120 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

28440061508_a5d747f6ef_c.jpg

DSC00987 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

• OK, against my better judgement, today I went and saw this

External Content www.youtube.com

I was ready for some BS knockoff of the original masterpiece.

I was ready for it to be utterly pissweak and a horrible disappointment.

I was ready to scream "I HATE THIS WORLD" half way thru and then storm out.

I was un-ready for it to be PRETTY BLOODY GOOD

ok I understated it

BLOODY BLOODY GOOD

If you liked the original, then you may well like this one.

Of course, if you just "liked" the original, then perhaps a crochet forum would be more your speed...

In this one, when a fighter was doing the equivalent of a handbrakey but in 3 dimensions,

[Text deleted - against forum rules for inappropriate language references]

I was going to do a review and use spoiler tags and all that stuff, but I got on the beers when I got home so that ship sailed upon an ocean of crushed VB's :D :D :D

Worth seeing at the cinema, in X-TREEEEM SCREEEEN at Hoyts or whatevr the biggest loudest screan near you is. BTW leavign x-treeem screens here in WA in a week which i why i went today.

• Yep Jurassic Park is replacing it.

It’s a great sequel.

I don’t have much time for Tom Cruise generally but he showed he still has it in this genre.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I had heard a story that on the original Top Gun 36 years ago they had asked the Navy to help out with Filming sequences etc... The Navy declined.

After Top gun was released in 1986 the US navy experienced a 500% increase in applicants to join. Admittedly they had recruitment booths outside the theatres back then.

They were asked again with the new movie and the Navy said "what would you like to film and how can we help" I believe in the US there has been recruitment booths outside theatres again. :D

This add was run prior to the movies opening which was on memorial weekend in the US.

Cool add.

External Content youtu.be

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Not true. The US Navy was heavily involved with the film, even before there was a script. The USN allowed access to the Miramar base, using combat ready F-14s and four carriers, plus the pilots and crew. They only charged the producers for the fuel and pilots.

The USN basically saw the film as a recruitment ad made by Hollywood, but they would only co-operate if the film showed the military in a positive light. They were allowed to make changes to the script and omit/revise scenes during editing.

• I'm with you KamadoJosephine - was totally against going to see the movie. Then I was speaking with a fellow BBQ-er from Melbourne who said he had just been to see it at iMAX there and told me how awesome it was. Sydney iMAX is still offline as they are building a freeway around it, so I went to our local cinema and was very glad I did! I did have to suspend disbelief in so many ways, but it was sooo worth it. Looking for an excuse to go and see it on the big screen a second time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!