Thoughts on how to cook sliced pork hock.

• So I saw these sliced pork hocks going cheap, so had to buy them. But thoughts on best way to cook?

I have actually fired up the big girl and have a 5kg brisket in, with 3 kg of sliced pork spare ribs to follow. I was thinking I could give them a smoke, cook, then take out and chill. Then thinking I could reheat in a hot komado and hopefully crackle. Might have to skewer them together for the final cook?

Thoughts please.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Wazza April 3, 2022 at 3:36 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Thoughts on how to cook sliced pork hoc.” to “Thoughts on how to cook sliced pork hock.”.
  • I think crackle would be a bit ambitious, they aren't thick so any high heat for crackle would over cook them I reckon.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I should add I got 4 packs so can skewer quite a few together if people think that will work?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Rotisserie !

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Throw them in the potjie, treat them the same you would a neck? With a central bone and a fair bit of connective tissue it would be a similar cook?

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• Throw them in the potjie, treat them the same you would a neck?

That is probably the best use of them, but I had this bug in me where I wanted to stick them in the traegar with the others stuff.

They are only half cooked, I may still take them off and do something like that now they've had a smoke.

• Throw them in the potjie, treat them the same you would a neck? With a central bone and a fair bit of connective tissue it would be a similar cook?

Yeah I reckon you're onto a good plan.

My wife does a stew with them, chili and sichuan pepper, some asian mushrooms (the king-thingies, with the massive stalks), soy, ginger, that kind of thing. Has quite a rich, savoury liquid in it by the end (not too sweet though), and it's fall-apart.

We've talked about smoking them first because I'm sure the flavour would pair well, but haven't found the time to double the length of an already long cook.

• I ended pulling them from the smoker half cooked, chilled immediately, then finished in a Mussaman curry. They were great, and added a touch of smokyness to the dish.

So yeah went along the lines of the potjie.

Edited once, last by Wazza (April 5, 2022 at 2:22 PM).

• Wazza sorry but I have to say this........

I ended pulling them from the smoker half cooked, chilled immediately, then finished in a Mussaman curry. They were great, and added a touch of smokyness to the dish.

So yeah went along the lines of the potjie.

:w

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Wazza sorry but I have to say this........

:w

Lol, fair call, and i did actually crack up, but in my defence it was a mid week cook that really wasn't pic worthy.

I will however pay icon, well played sir.

• late to the party... Id braise and reduce the liquid to a jus. Im godsmacked you wernt going this way with this cut :D

Yeah, that's pretty much my M.O., but I already had the smoker going so just had this image in my head of smoked hocks. They worked well in the curry.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!