Bye...bye z grill. .....hello weber ex6 smokefire.

• hey there.

I will not diss the zgrill. It is what It is. And a good basic unit.

But. Yeah I know there is always a but.

Been there, done that. With the original traeger for 15 years.

Thought I had paid my dues and earned the right for a big boy's toy.

And .... And .... It is a weber.

OK, I researched and annoyed weber smokefire face book pages, and, I just went ..... Booger it, i want, no ..... I deserve a SF.

Now, here is the best part.

I contacted mick ( owner CEO ) of zgrills australia and had a chat, and he was true to the refund if you are not happy.

We agreed on a refund deal. And have moved on.

Thanks mick.

If you are thinking of buying you 1st pellet grill. This company and, mick in particular cannot be out done on customer service.

Give them a go. You will be pleased ..... For sure.

now onto the SF.

I saw, I liked, I bought. I have done some basic cooks and , I am happy with it.

I have cooked spare ribs, chicken, salmon and one long haul brisket. It performed as a weber should.

However, I kept some ministry of smoke pellets and used them on the burn in and chicken cook.

They did their job, but, were rather noisy, I mean scary noisy. Any other SF owners use these pellets?

I am running weber pellets at present, and they are way less scary. Also I get free delivery. Which is a huge plus when you are not a townie

The ministry of smoke worked great with the zgrill. The pellets are thicker than the weber ones,

maybe that's the reason for the noise.

Any-how gunna use the weber pellets unless It can be proven ministry will not stuff up my SM.

Once again ..... Zgrills are a fantastic company to get you started on you pellet grill journey.

Kevin

I will lay down some photos on future cooks for sure.

up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

Edited once, last by 420kev (May 8, 2022 at 12:17 PM).

• :w

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• What he said. Where are the pics of the new Q?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Nice looking unit Kev. A lot more $$$ than the Z grill.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• but ..... but ..... it's a weber

and, as they say.

you will only cry once

counting on the legendary after sales customer service

to keep those tissues in the box.

kevin

• yep they are a great grill and I am glad they sorted out the issues they had in the first units. With pellets not feeding correctly and fat fires.

420kev do you still have to clean it after every cook to avoid the fat fires ?

I seem to remember that was an issue with these grills early on and Weber then included that as a part of the user manual. Its no biggie I just seem to recall something about it that's all.

I would still be very happy with one of those grills.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Fat fires and the ash blowing back up the fire pot and mixing with the fat in the bottom of the pit seem to be the issues. There are quite a few reviews on YouTube showing the problem.

• Jimmy,

I clean my grills before each use.

One less worry

Gumb.

I think most of those problems were 1st Gen

And user error. 2nd Gen users don't seem to have those issues.

I think cheap oversize, excessive dust in pellet bags are the biggy now.

Also, not updating software and firmware. with the "she'll be right mate" attitude.

Then diss weber.

Once again ..... User error

That is my observation , but ..... I am a one-eyed weber tragic.

Kevin

• I think most of those problems were 1st Gen

And user error. 2nd Gen users don't seem to have those issues.

Agree Kev, it looks like they have fixed it.

• G'day Kev, I don't think Weber released the EX 4 & 6 until the series II were made, tested and released to the American market. I think one of the other complaints too was the shallow Hopper angle not feeding in the pellets as it should, that was also fixed.

I have my eye on one of these to go with my retirement house if I win it on online Auction tomorrow....nervous as buggery.....all I need is one rich bugger trying to do a ebay type sniper attack on me :D if I get it, I'll be moving closer to the NSW/Vic border on the Murray.

I'm still a Weber tragic, it's all I own and will own....if one has had such a great run with a brand...why change. :bbq:

So just one question Kev, (it's never just one) How are these EX6 Pellet grills would you say if it was to be your main cooker eg: Gas and/or charcoal replacement? Reason I ask is that i got to decide whether to get another WSM plus a Q3200 or just get the EX6 only. I enjoyed my original Traeger 075 when i had it....just wondering if I should jump in again.

Good to see you still poking around the BBQ forums...hope you and family are well. :)

Cheers

Davo :cheers:

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Davo,

Keep your wsm. I still believe it's the best smoker.

Mind you I have owned mine for 25+ years.

Got rid of the Q.

This EX6 is for the true believers.

It has the GBS setup

I have bought the CI grill and the camp oven fitments.

It's a bit of a head spin having flavourizer bars and not a grease draining plate.

But after a few cookouts it just feels soo right.

However you have to be really anal with the cleaning.

Also I purchased the wet smoke kit X3 for long L&S to add humidity and

To catch the grease. I know, overkill you only need a foil pan sitting on top of bars.

But ... But ... Well I'm just staying true to the weber quality.

Just one bummer. Buy weber or lumberjack Pellets as your go to . Or ones of similar thickness and quality.

I ran a load of 'ministry of smoke' pellets through ( and they are bloody superb pellets ) the EX6 struggled because of the thickness.

Might bash bag with a wooden handle to resize them so they can be used in an emergency situation. I still have 12 bags left.

Any-how Davo. The answer is ........... Get rid of the bloody gasser. As usual

Kevin

• Yeah things have changed somewhat.....have already sold the 18.5 WSM and the Q3200 and have only the Performer grill which is getting a little tired (like me) and a newish Master touch plus deep ocean blue and my Jumbo Joe...so it's all charcoal Baby!!

But the reason for my question is I'm caught between another Q or one of the EX 4 or 6. I don't entertain a lot of ppl these days so it's all hobby for me so I may even get the EX4 with GBS grill coz I also have both my kettles sporting those awesome grill grates with some but not all of the Inners.

You still got Gordy?

You realise it's been exactly 10 years since I graced your driveway on the Motorcycle and Boofhead giving me a mixed greeting.....don't have the mean machine anymore either. :(

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Davo,

go the 4. i went for the 6, way bigger than i need.

i have parked gordy up at my butcher's. he uses it more than i do now.

although i can access it when and if i need it.

haven't had the need or want for a while.

yep Boofhead, great dog, great memories.

GBS is now standard i think.

my WSM is covered most of the time now that i have the 6.

the smoke fire is on par with a gasser for speed of pre heat to grilling temps, and boy it gets scorching hot.

the CI grill insert lays down some fine sear tracks and flavour as well.

i am pleased i bought the EX6 over the masterbuilt gravity fed.

weber piece of mind, for sure.

kevin

• paella and a 2kg red emperer on the 6.

Paella done traditional. Liquid 1st.

Sorry, I was soo excited for the successful cook, I didn't take a photo of finished paella. The paella pan just fit. I got it for use on my weber kettle. Photo of finished paella on new cook. And there will be another for sure.

Love this thing.

• We are excited for you too mate. :) :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!