Repair or replace old Beefeater?

• I actually use the DC pizza attachment generally.

I have done pre made bases on the Primo previously but I have always struggled with getting the right set up in terms of where to put deflectors and pizza stone.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I've moved this thread to this section at the request of Lovey as he is the OP.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• That spirit is only a three burner and has a 600mm wide grille. Never used a spirit but I’ve never seen a Weber gasser that gets decently hot and I’d worry about having 1 less burner if you want to get to pizza temps.

On paper the spirit it doesn’t look real special, even at that price.

For comparison Masport Classic 4 has (you guessed it) 4 burners, is 700mm wide and looks to be $799 - 849 depending on where you buy and has a 5 year warranty.

But again, I’m no expert in gassers!

• From my (admittedly hazy) memory, I thought the baby and family Q's were ok, but the 200 was a bit anemic?

My baby Q struggled to sear. I had to preheat the hell out of it, and flipping the steaks had to be fast, to a part of the grill that hadn't had steak on it yet.

Drilling out every third hole to 1.5mm solved that, but then the lowest it would go was about 170C which was also not ideal.

My Ziggy portable is disappointing: too hot and uneven to cook snags with moving them around a lot. Grill grates might help but that's expensive for something I only use if I camp in a fire ban🤷‍♂️

• My Ziggy portable is disappointing: too hot and uneven to cook snags

You can fix the too hot issue quite easily with an extra needle valve to reduce the gas flow.

Grill Grates do help but not a cheap solution. I have some for the BGE and use one or two of those to sit on top of the existing grill in the Ziggy.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Lovey here's a late option for you to consider. Make the two pizzas in your kitchen oven. I expect that you'll get similar results to the gas BBQ.

I have a Weber genesis from around 10 years ago and wouldn't buy it again. Doesn't get as hot as I'd like and I've not used mine in the past few years due to an annoying issue where the main chamber has warped and my grills are not quite long enough, so they can fall down.

4 burner BBQs are usually made to flip steaks, burgers and onions with the lid up. The lid down cooking adds a little flavour when juices are dripping down, but I wouldn't expect much of that with pizza.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• The Masport 6 burner always used to get good reviews due to being a small 6 burner, so the flames were a bit closer together, from memory. A 6 burner in a 4 burner body.

Latest one has a rear infra red that might help the pizza situation. 5 year warranty

Classic Six | Masport Australia
    With sleek clean lines, the Classic Six is a sophisticated barbecue that offers more than skin deep beauty. Innovation is at the core of this barbecue turn
    masport.com.au
  • Lovey here's a late option for you to consider. Make the two pizzas in your kitchen oven. I expect that you'll get similar results to the gas BBQ.

I have a Weber genesis from around 10 years ago and wouldn't buy it again. Doesn't get as hot as I'd like and I've not used mine in the past few years due to an annoying issue where the main chamber has warped and my grills are not quite long enough, so they can fall down.

4 burner BBQs are usually made to flip steaks, burgers and onions with the lid up. The lid down cooking adds a little flavour when juices are dripping down, but I wouldn't expect much of that with pizza.

Thanks Narm Naleg I've found a couple of reviews that tend to indicate that the Genesis II don't get very hot compared to some other brands. In fairness, I believe the Weber is designed to be used 'lid down', so their output isn't as high.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I think that I'll remove the requirement to have 2 pizza stones 'side by side' as in my OP.

As mentioned by others, I have other options for pizzas, rather than trying to rely on one bbq to do everything.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• I think that I'll remove the requirement to have 2 pizza stones 'side by side' as in my OP.

hmmm, I've heard the Ziggy triple is pretty good ;)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help, I really appreciate it.

I ended up pulling the grills and flame tamer off the beefeater and the insides are fairly well buggered. I can't complain too much though, not a bad run of 15 years living close to the ocean.

After a bit more research and some first hand experience from a workmate that has a family Q, I pulled the trigger on a black Q3200 with a roasting pack and half hotplate. Now to wait until it turns up.

Thanks again everyone,

Steve

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• I have a family Q. I use it to roast and grill. The addition of the centre burner to the outer ring burner in the Family Q compared to the smaller model Qs helped fix some of the complaints of not getting hot enough.

Good idea getting the black. Cleaning the titanium version is hard work.

To celebrate try out this smoker to add to your Family Q. Enjoy the whiskey :)

BBQ SMOKER | Drupal

• Aaah Bugger....I was just gonna post the link for a new Beefeater to replace your old one ...... I wasn't fast enough 8o

but I'll do it anyway Beefeater 1200 Series 4 Burner Stainless Steel BBQ with Side Burner - Bunnings Australia

I love the Weber Q3200 series, those things get bloody hot, always got mine up to around 600F.

One thing I've always appreciated the Q3200 is that just about all the grate real estate is usable. I wish I didn't sell mine but at the time I was looking at moving into a small apartment but that never happened so I might be looking at a new one.

I'd love to step up to a Genesis but like others, justifying the cost but I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it. Good luck with the Q3200 Steve.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!