masterbuilt 560 gravity

• Hey guys.

I know there's been a couple of threads on these, but I don't know if issues have been sorted or also, after more time of owning if opinions have changed - or solidified.

I enjoy my kamado but even with the TTT managing the temp control (really well) I apparently have trust issues and find it difficult to leave alone for extended periods. Longer cooks feel like an ordeal. And maybe I just need to force myself to relax.

I've looked into pellet options but I finally tasted something and I'm not sold on the (too mild) smoke taste. Also, being able to sear is a must and (sadly) I'm not able to just collect lots of bbqs.

I notice bbqsg have a sale on Masterbuilt at the moment, so I thought I'd ask what the general opinion of these grills is now that a couple of years have passed. I think it's basically the only alternative. I am only sort of considering buying but with it on sale now is the time to figure out what I want.

• Same question was asked here recently.......check the last few posts in this thread

Bruckster
    May 7, 2022 at 1:45 PM

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Bduza -what Jimmy70 said smart fire takes all the worry away - I can happily sleep All night knowing it’s doing it’s job and wake up 6-10 hours later. Or light it up early morning and go out for the day.

I have also wanted to MB560 ….. maybe one day add it to the arsenal.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• That's also a good tip about buying a fan forced controller for your kamado. I have an older Cyber Q II on the Egg and it does the job perfectly all day or overnight.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Thanks for the replies. Looking over that older thread I still kind of want one but am uneasy about it so the temp controller advice is attractive.

I see inkbird are making one now, ebay $228. 3 probes too. Less than I thought - I had it in my head that something like this would be up near $500 (to be fair, some of them are!)

• I don’t know much about the Inkbird one. I have Smartfire and it’s a great Aussie product. Can use it as a pit controller and / or just a meat probe. But I guess all of 5hem will do that.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• As good as the kamado is at holding temp, the controller just makes it so much more reliable. I had one on the old Royal kamado and now use one on the Egg. That Cyber Q came with the Egg at the time so I haven't updated it because it works fine.

In fact, trying to do a low and slow cook with redgum charcoal in the Egg, say for 12 hours, is difficult because redgum lump tends to go out if there's not enough air flow. But if I hook up the controller and do a low and slow, the redgum stays lit the whole time because the air flow increases if the controller detects a drop in pit temp. They are well worth the coin, regardless of what brand you choose.

I like the look of the Smart Fire and that's the way I'll probably go if the Cyber Q dies or I decide I want to monitor it remotely.

• I've been reading about the smartfire this morning (while my wife dragged me around DFO and Ikea ||

I think it might be worth the extra over the inkbird. They seem to have put a lot of effort into the PID and tailoring it to charcoal. Also, as much as I like my inkbird thermometer, their app does annoy me at times. Nice to support an Aussie too.

• I've got the Inkbird fan controller. I use it on my UDS mainly. The UDS holds temp pretty well anyway, but it gives me the flexibility to go and do other stuff and leave the house and know that everything is ticking along nicely. Cheap insurance when you look at the price of meat.

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!