Dang it. Need new firebox please

• hey there,

Just got my. Old imperial No5 back.

Fire box is still there, but in lots and lots of tiny pieces.

Is there a newer kamado fire box that will fit please.

Tia

Kevin

up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

• 12x7 do you happen know?

King Erik XIV
    December 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM

Maybe King Erik XIV might know

• 420kev. Once upon a time when Kamados used to be hand made the sizes/commonality etc of things between different brands was fairly close. Nowadays with automation and computers things are quite different. It can be an absolute nightmare in some brands to find spares for older models.

Technology has also moved on.

As an example have a look at the firebox design for the Kamado Joe 2 which is multi-segmented.

Even changing the humble lid hinge springs may require a degree in engineering to get something to work if you're not lucky enough to find a spring in Bunnies to fit.

Maybe like KIng Erik, the best option might be to get a new kamado?

• Does this help Kev ? It's the measurement of the firebox on my Big Green Egg (Large)

With top fire box ring

and the bottom firebox

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Gee, that firebox looks awefully close to the BGE box.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Dunno ...... It's bad. But looked worse on return.

Might give it a crack ( pun intended ).

I recently repaired a pizza stone (well a ceramic thing i use for relatively low heat stuff) using oven gasket glue/cement. This particular stone was a heavy duty one with moulded handles and due to not being able to get it any more, naturally it was the one I dropped.

EDIT: was a bit of a bugger to find so here's the one I used: https://www.bunnings.com.au/scandia-75g-wo…ealant_p0119058

I was pretty sceptical about essentially gluing stone, but so far it's held up nicely. Prolonged 240C in oven then pulled out and carried using handles - one of which broke off - has been good thus far.

Not sure if it would hold up for firebox temps, but it's pretty cheap so might be worth a shot.

Oh yeah and there's something in the instructions about noxious fumes and "whatever you do, don't ever ever ever get any of this stuff on a surface that you may even one day in the distant future think about putting food on" but I decided that I've been ignoring safety warnings this long, so why change now...

• here's what lmperialkamado.com recommends to not do.

But, thanks for the thoughts

Replacement of Firebox:

Our earthenware replacement parts are designed exclusively for Imperial Kamado.

Please do not use replacement parts made by other companies (ceramic & metal products) especially the grate, firebox and the fire ring. Their’s conduct more heat and may damage your earthenware Kamado. Our competitor’s material is ceramic and will absorb and transmit high temperature as advertised, so this rapid heat conduction may crack your Imperial Kamado.

Alternatively do not use earthenware Kamado parts in the high temperature ceramic cooker. (the cooking grill is located away from the fire/charcoal position & does not cause the same problem so it is interchangeable.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20100213000920/http://www.imperialkamado.com/i_faq.htm#Replacing%20Parts:

Kevin

up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

• It's an interesting "justification". It's basically saying other Kamado manufacturers make poor quality Kamados or their kamado quality is so bad their Kamado can't handle situations other kamado manufacturers can handle.

It reminds me of the manufacturers who "advise" that non-genuine will break their machines and only their over priced products, oops original parts, can provide the best blah blah blah blah.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (May 28, 2022 at 1:50 PM).

• I think they might have a point with the cheaper ceramic kamados but I doubt a fire box from a BGE would be a problem.

Remember the Primo video showing the difference in the quality of the ceramics ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah, I get the impression they think the Imperial Kamado is the molten category. We also got to remember that’s a video from the old Primo factory and they don’t make them like that anymore.

• I like the bit with "their's", 1 x spelling error and 2 x grammar error. I'm not sure you can put an apostrophe in a possessive pronoun?

(I know, grammar police, I'll show myself out.)

(I'll also come clean, the bit about pronoun is from my wife who is an English teacher, I just ripped her off ;) )

As for getting back on topic, I don't know if I buy the justification about a metal firebox either. If you are worried you could use some of the old cracked ceramic to act as a buffer to the outer shell.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• 12x7 the ceramic in the Primo is still exactly the same I believe.

The Firing is the same as well.

From what I know they pretty much took everything from Atlanta and moved it.

The only thing that is different now I believe is that Robots ensure the quality control is spot on as opposed to being hand made and the oval being slightly different it is perfect.

Let’s not forget 420kev Primo make a round Kamado as well which is an 18 inch grill as well. The firebox from it may fit as well :shrug:

Maybe check with Primo Australia if you want to know measurements for sure.

Primo Kamado | Primo BBQ Grills Australia
    Free Shipping* All Orders over $250 20 Year Warranty Best Price Policy Find a lower price and we will match it American Made Jump to: Features Specifications…
    www.primogrills.com.au

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Ok can confirm from the CEO of Primo that Ceramic and Firing is still exactly the same as it has always been.

No change to Quality vs the "melts the competition" video.

Primo_FINAL_051622.mp4
    Shared with Dropbox
    www.dropbox.com

Straight from the CEO.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

Edited once, last by Jimmy70 (May 30, 2022 at 11:31 AM).

• Great to see how automated it is but they still use the same kiln to fire them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!