Kettle Accessories - which one ?

• The Smokenator has holes on each side of the water pan. They are for giving the coals a stir and adding more if needed.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Gumb That looks great, especially with the additional cooking space on the bottom grate.

Is it easy to manage the fire and temps?

Are these primarily designed for lump rather than briquettes?

• They are designed for and work best with briquettes and they hold temperature really well. You fill it up with briqettes, drop a few lit beads in to each hole and they will slowly burn through the others, which is the Minion method.

Smokenator Instruction and User Manual

You need to refil the water pan a few times along the way for a long, low and slow cook.

It also works well if you full it with a full chimney of lit briquettes and remove the water pan. It then can do a good roast while shielding the food from any direct heat, so you get more grill arera to cook on when compared to using two baskets.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• You need to refil the water pan a few times along the way for a long, low and slow cook.

The black line on the waterpan in my cardboard mock-up is the size of the original Smokenator water pan. These are standard Bain-maries trays from a Restaurant Supply. Smokenator one is a 1/9 size x100mm the larger one is 1/6 x 100mm

• I think the problem with that is the gap at the back of the water pan in the mock-up. It would allow more airflow and I think that will cause it to run over temp. A larger pan is fine but fill in the rear section too.

• About 3 years ago, I bought one of the Australian made Kettle Kones (square shaped) and had some great success out of it but since I've been using the centre griddle in the middle and sometimes just having the hole in the centre, I'm getting just as much success with the 2 charcoal baskets than I was with the Kone by placing them in the direct grilling mode in the middle. I rarely use the Kone now and it's going all rusty. I think those charcoal baskets have a lot of merit in many situations and cheap to replace.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Thanks for sharing Davo, I was actually considering a Kone currently on sale for $49 at:

Kettle Kone - Standard 22
    This summer, transform the way you cook on your Kettle BBQ . Grab yours at Boss Hogg and the Duchess of Pork today!
    duchessofpork.com.au

Would the 2 center baskets still work well for high indirect chicken wings around the outside?

• Thanks for sharing Davo, I was actually considering a Kone currently on sale for $49 at:

https://duchessofpork.com.au/kettle-kone-standard-22/

Would the 2 center baskets still work well for high indirect chicken wings around the outside?

That's pretty cheap for a kone, I think mine cost me for $70 but don't forget, there are about 3 sizes too, that could be for the smallest one.

Yes I find that the 2 baskets will work well for grilling wings on the outside perimeter as I've done it a few times since when I couldn't be bothered using the cone. Sometimes too, I might have some unused coals in the baskets from the last cook so I just pour a lot of new ones overtop and go from there whereas if I used the Kone, I'd have to tip the older ones on top inside the kone and also sometimes I feel it's too much heat directed towards the middle of the Kettle Lid sending my temp guage off the clock.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!