• Just putting it out there, I brew mead.

what the hell is that?
    fermented honey.
    It can be really simple or really complex.
    It can be high abv, or low(ish)
    It can be dry or sweet or in between.

I have a sweet tooth and tend to make stuff that is around 16-18%.

Herbs, fruits, spices, and even a smokey marshmallow cooked honey style.

If anyone wants to chat about it or ask questions - happy to.

• I’ve never tried it ….

Is it Like a honey wine ? I do like red and port ,

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I’ve never tried it ….

Is it Like a honey wine ? I do like red and port ,

I hate the term honey wine, but that is essentially what it is but there are no grapes.

a dry mead can be more like a white wine, a medium to sweet mead can be like a red, all the way through to a syrupy liqour.

some of the styles Ive made:
    plain, spiced, chocolate, coffee, chai, maple syrup, lots of different fruits and berries, cooked honey

Ive heard of a smoked honey mead so I will have to try that now I have a smoker.

• G’day

Ive made a few interesting things home made ginger beer apple cider and Lilly Lilly champagne. One thing being a brewed product they all have a dry finish ie not sweet. Love plastic beer bottles cause I’ve had a few over gassed results.

How do you get a sweet mead?

Regards Dave

• To get sweet mead some people kill year then back sweeten.

I don't like using sulphates or sulphites to kill year as it ####s with my asthma.

So I just use more honey than the yeast can eat and tolerate resulting alcohol level.

I calculate based on specific gravity at start and finish.

• I love mead. I've gotta get into brewing my own. Looking at getting a couple of my own hives at home, so hopefully by then I can get enough honey to make some mead with it.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• G’day Jimmy

Wow what sort of alcohol levels do you get?

Second question is how little can you brew I ask this as I’ve got a couple of native bee hives. Honeys interesting and different but the thing is you can only rob a little each year safely for the hives health about 250 grams.

Regards Dave

• I had a mulberry one once from a place here in WA, and we have a mulberry tree in the backyard, so that's definitely one I would be happy to try.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• smallest brew I would do is around 5 L. for that I would use about 2kg of honey.

I wouldnt use native bee honey, for a couple of reasons:
    1 you dont get enough

2 you can get some really weird flavours from brewing with it as it is different to the euro honey bee honey

• Watching this thread. I've had mead before and would love a go at brewing it.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I have never had Mead before.

I am not a big Beer drinker as it just not to my taste maybe Mead could be my thing. :dunno:

Mead is much more like wine than beer, but not wine, if that makes sense? Perhaps between wine and fortified wine, JimmyRaven , help me out here.

You need to try it basically to see if it's for you. And if you think it's not for you, don't write it off completely as there is a very wide range of tastes, you just may have not had the one that is right for you?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• There is such a variety of meads. A mead can be like a beer, a wine, a fruit punch, or a hundred other things.
    It can be low alcohol or high. It can be dry or sweet. It can be flat or carbonated.

Jimmy70 you're in the Redlands so I can help with this!
    what is your preference of beverage?

Personally many of mine are sweet, because that's my preference.

I have had meads like white wine, or red wine, or port, or beer, or cider, or whisky, or other unique drinks.

• Gidday JimmyRaven - I've started my own Mead (alongside some beer and alcoholic lemonade) I've just poured it off into secondary fermenting vessel for the next four months - so it fermented for 4 weeks before I syphoned it over. Mine contains literally Mead yeast, Honey and water. I'm hoping it all goes well. Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

I do prefer sweeter than dry and as this is my first batch - mmmm I used 8kg honey to a 23L fermenting vat so I'm hoping it turns out sweeter.

Thanks

Once you put my meat in your mouth, you're going to want to swallow.

• I've brewed numerous mead's, although I don't have a sweet tooth, so find I prefer brewing them to drinking them.

Here's the recipe I've always followed - https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/jao-th…d-recipe.32762/

It makes a sweet (or "sack") mead, with a few spices to balance it out and add complexity. Takes about 3 months to fully ferment out, but is at it's peak after 12 months in the bottle.

Kamado Joe Series III - Weber Genesis - Aldi/Hark smoker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!