The Science of Resting

• As far as resting goes, I'm not sure that it makes any difference to the mouthfeel or moisture level, but I do prefer a hot steak to a cold one and if I rest it's only by accident.

There is something to the change in flavour profile after a prolonged rest (overnight).

My reheated steaks always seem to have a more pronounced smoke flavour than the freshly cooked ones.

Mind you I've never tested it scientifically, so it could simply be due to my own senses being dulled to smoke flavour when I've just been cooking in a smokey environment, whereas the next day I get to the steak without exposure.

You tend to reverse sear though. I've seen in videos claims that there is no point resting after a reverse sear. The rest has already occurred either in the sous vide or in between the slow and the sear.

I have no idea how valid that is but it seems to makes sense.

For the smoke thing, I've always assumed it's because I've been dulled to it. I notice it particularly with roasted lamb.

• Aaron Franklin rests his brisket and watches the temperature, not the time. He'll rest a brisket until it gets back down to around 150f before unwrapping.

But it's definitely not for 10 hours, I've never heard that one before.

Franklin reckons it might only take 40 minutes in colder climates but generally they take longer than that. I've followed that method here and it works well.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I havent tried the reverse sear yet.

I need to figure out how much extra cooking that will do the meat, so I dont overdo it with a sear.

I kinda guess instead of 45 min @ 120C, I'd go 30 mins, rest the meat while I heat up the grill, and then a hot sear on both sides.

• I cheat on my reverse sears.

I start on the GMG and then transfer straight to a Kamado.

I do rest my steaks for 5 -10 minutes after cooking and let the residual heat finish the steak.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

I need to figure out how much extra cooking that will do the meat, so I dont overdo it with a sear.

I kinda guess instead of 45 min @ 120C, I'd go 30 mins, rest the meat while I heat up the grill, and then a hot sear on both sides.

Use a thermometer. Pull them off at 47C (give or take depending on your taste), cover with foil and open the vents.

Go get the rest of dinner ready, come back and give each side 45 secs. I was nervous trying it the first time. Asked you guys and watched videos, but in hindsight I actually find the workflow easier - the time waiting for the sear temp is convenient rather than a hassle.

I really want a sous vide. Maybe after my new kitchen, when we have room.

cook to temperature, not time.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• He also cooks it differently, and 2 days in the fridge will take out moisture, perhaps this intensifies the flavour that would be lost by moisture loss, and lead to less juices being available to run after cooking?

I can actually see how this could work.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Upon further thought, I wonder if the 2 days in the fridge is most important here? Neither steaks gave off much juice, I would have expected more from both.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• The only time I could see resting a steak would be something like a Kilo Rib-eye or the like. I usually only rest roasts or something with some bulk...

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• A roast has to rest while you make the gravy.

• a little off topic buy a friend shot a doe and her fawn, I made the BEST stock with the adults bones and my friend spit roasted the fawn .

I was quite worried that the meat would be dry , so we brought hot stock with us in a thermos

and poured it onto the meat as it was sliced, the hot meat absorbed the stock.

mother and child reunited delicious

Edited once, last by guz13 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!