What is BBQ to you ?

• It's the eating that got me into it. And you lot with all your tips and advice on how to make it easier and better.

Plus who doesn't like playing with fire and toys?

Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Fire Pit | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Weber Genesis |

• I think we've all become victims of "Gottahaveitis" since the internet and forums have come about.....from the humble snag on the Barbie to a full packet sized brisket on a Pelletpooper....we've all gone through it. The new to us taste sensations that American style BBQ has given us but also has allowed us Aussies to do it our way as well. It's been a great adventure learning from older Cultures, different way of doing things.

Kinda funny really because Australia has been long known to have strong Asian influences with our cruisine that had sort of overtaken the old British Bangers and Mash (Although still being an old favourite) now is also being strongly influenced by the Greek way of cooking as well as South American becoming more popular. What would we blokes would have done without the Kebabs or Yeeros after an arvo on the grog :P :cheers:

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Crikey....it took him almost 3 decades to get his wish....hard to know what to think of this....he either had a good life for almost 3 decades doing stuff he always wanted to do or just sat at home for the same amount of time doing nothing......did he have any hobbies? I do know many people in my line of work, who are well in their 70's coz they are worried about keeling over once they stop....1 lady who is a senior Supervisor, she is about 84 now and still as sharp as a tack but i think Company Changes are getting the best of her....

He liked going to the pub, grew fruit and stuff (1/4 acre block in Midland).

It wasn't his wish, I think he just didn't know what else to do. His life after retirement changed only because he didn't have work anymore.

Whereas I like my job but if I could retire tomorrow, I would. And I wouldn't have trouble keeping busy. A difference in generation maybe?

• I think we've all become victims of "Gottahaveitis" since the internet and forums have come about.....from the humble snag on the Barbie to a full packet sized brisket on a Pelletpooper....we've all gone through it. The new to us taste sensations that American style BBQ has given us but also has allowed us Aussies to do it our way as well. It's been a great adventure learning from older Cultures, different way of doing things.

Kinda funny really because Australia has been long known to have strong Asian influences with our cruisine that had sort of overtaken the old British Bangers and Mash (Although still being an old favourite) now is also being strongly influenced by the Greek way of cooking as well as South American becoming more popular. What would we blokes would have done without the Kebabs or Yeeros after an arvo on the grog :P :cheers:

There's great bbq from so many cultures in the world other than just USA. I love trying them out. I've been going down an Argentinean path lately - I really want to try and cook asada beef ribs soon.

Bbq for me though, before charcoal, was always about the people. Friends and family. A few experiences got me from being content with that, to where I am now.

1. I bought a baby q because it was small. Even simple snags tasted better.

2. I was given a jumbuck kettle, which tasted even better until I wore it out

3. A colleague catered for a Christmas party on a drum smoker and it blew my mind so I bought a kamado (thanks to advice from this forum).

• My Dad hardly used the bbq. It was a round portable flat plate. Eventually he got a cheap 4 burner. It started with my brother when we were early teens, we loved lamb ribs and the local Coles / Woolworths in town used to sell them for 50c kg to get rid of them. Took us a few goes but we worked out how to cook them how we liked them.

Turns out I loved cooking, and was mostly self taught trying to get flavour into different meals which were not lamb chops and 3 different types of boiled veg. Would look for cook books that had meals I didn't know and I mostly headed in an Asian direction. Back then this was still western Asian, but it gave me a grounding.

When I got married we purchased a big @rse 4 burner stainless frame cast grill with a separate cast deep dish and wok burner, and suddenly I had two loves in my life. I was given a smoker box as a house warming present, and started to experiment with low and slow with secondary cuts (mostly mutton), not knowing there was an emergence of this starting in Australia, I was on my own applying what I had learned from my Grandfather who used a kettle.

Move on a few years I find it relaxing after work, sitting by the bbq, sports talk on the radio, just chilling and winding down after the day.

Now the legacy, my eldest could drive the komado at 13 years old, and obviously the pellet grill. One of the Dad's from Athletics also gets it, and is talking about running some sessions with a group from his rugby club and is in discussion with how he could get me to run some sessions with the blokes. He also wants to run some sessions teaching our son's and their mates how to cook a steak. He's big into the blokes need to get together, do a bit of bonding and have a 'safe place' to chat in case they need. Watch this space I guess to see if something happens.

Oh, and camping and open fire cooking, no need to expand here.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Edited once, last by Wazza ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!