Louisiana Grills 900 first use

• Well the LG 900 got delivered yesterday morning, but I had a heap of stuff to get done and didnt assemble it till the evening.
    The darn thing weighs a tonne (about 80kg), but seems to be made really well.

Its taken me 47 years to have my first bought from new BBQ!

This afternoon after a day of clean up and tip runs I got to do a run in.
    took 10 mins to get to 100C, and about another 5 to get up to 200C.

Didnt seem to use a lot of pellets, maybe a 3-4 cup fulls (guessing by eye).

Id grabbed a bag of Lumberjack Competition Blend. Like the smell of it and can wait to actually cook something.

There seems to be a bit of heat/smoke escaping around the lid, especially at the front.
    Is it worth getting some kind of high temp seal for around the lid?

• Gumb June 5, 2022 at 5:41 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Louisianna 900 first use” to “Louisiana Grills 900 first use”.
  • Don't forget the pics :)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Good pics but you also need to hit the insert button after uploading.

I'll fix the one above for you.

Don't they look smart and clean when new. It's almost a shame to cook anything on it. :P

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Onya Jimmy, you're gonna have fun with that baby....don't worry about the smoke leaks, these should reduce once it gunks up a bit around the lid area but pellet cookers are very much prone to leak especially when it's cooking at smoking temps. Have fun with it. :bbq:

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I wouldn't worry about the leaks at this stage.

• Grill looks great. :thumbup:

Don’t worry about the leaks.

I was the same when I got my first GMG. But you need to remember that the grills are designed to leak in places as well.

Looking forward to seeing your first cook.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself by going straight to a Brisket or something like that. Do some research on what you are cooking and if you are not sure people in here will help you out.

Yep you will get used to the sweet smell of wood pellet smoke.

Out of interest where did you pick up your pellets from ?

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• cheers folks.

I will run a few cooks before anything else

I did quite a bit on the old charcoal bullet smoker, even a brisket, which turned out great.
    But the pellet smoker is very new.

The wife says she has meat in the freezer so that will be the first place I raid, probably a buttefly'd chooks and some roasts. Tho a good grilled steak is on the cards, as well.

• First cook, some small steaks and vegies.

The missus had everything else in the freezer.

Trying at 121C probably for about 45 mins, but will check in and set the probe for around 55C internal.

I also noticed a fair bit of ash from last night's burn in process (30 minutes at 180-200C) but gave that a quick clean out from the fire box.

• You will build up ash in the fire box and if it gets too much and covers the rod, the pellets may not ignite during the atart up sequence..

Cleaning it out every 3-4 cooks should be enough to keep it happy.

The other thing to become familiar with is the hot start procedure. You may need that if you need to turn it off during a cook and restart while everything is stil burning. A short power outage would be a good example of that.

I wrote it down on a sheet of paper and stuck it to the underside of the hopper lid when I had my GMG grill. It's not something you need often but it's handy not to have to go back to the manual when you do.

• For the veggies, just put them on the upper rack, no foil. You may need to turn them over half way through.

The other option is those silicone mesh mats. They are great for fish too.

• Yeah I figured I shouldn't have used the foil...

Meat I understand...

Vegies yeah kinda...

Talking about foil, best to fully foil your deflector tray that send the grease down to the bucket, makes cleaning a lot easier and less elbow grease needed.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Whwn you do a roast at say 170c, cut up the spuds and par boil them for 5 minutes. Then drain off the water in the pot, add oil, stir them around so they get fully coated and put them in the cooker on the top shelf. They will come out magnificent.

The whole process is a learning curve and that's half the fun.

Salmon at 150c for 20 minutes comes out amazing too.

• We do that too, just in the pot but if they've been par boiled too long you need to be careful that they don't fall apart.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!