A night at Frankie's

• So Saturday night I filled in for the owner/pitmaster at Frankie's Smokehouse here in Brisbane. He had his sisters wedding attend so he needed someone to do the overnight cook on Saturday night for Sunday lunch service.

I started at 11pm after a good 90 minutes sleep for the day. Straight into Seasoning the 9 briskets for the night. These were already trimmed ready for me as it would have taken me ages to do it. Tristan says it takes him about 3-4 minutes to trim each brisket, so about 30 minutes total. But his head chef who has only had to do it a few times takes approx 90 minutes to do the same. Tristan usually does all his own prep & trimming & his chefs run the service side of things. Straight 40/60 Salt & Pepper with a bit of mustard for binder. He finds that a small amount of mustard help build the bark compared to going without the mustard.

Then I had 8 rack of beef shorties again with Salt & Pepper, strip the silver skin off the back. He leaves the silver skin on the top as they cook for 10+ hours so heaps of time to render down. Then 21 pork collars with salt, pepper, paprika & brown sugar (didn't get any photos of these pre seasoning). He only uses simple rubs to let the flavour of the meat come through. Once everything was seasoned it was into the pit.

Once they went on I got to pulling the silver skin off 12 racks of pork ribs. I'll be happy to not do that for a while. Again they get seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika & brown sugar with a smear of mustard.

Now its about 3am and I settled down to just tend the fire hourly & keep it cruising about 250-270 until 630 when its time to wrap everything. When it comes time to wrap its foil for everything except the pork has some baking paper in there as well to keep the juices in & keep it all super moist. When wrapping everything I had to make sure everything was wrapped nice & tight with no air pockets left otherwise it steams the meat which you don't want obviously.

After wrapping everything I went back inside, seasoned the ribs & put them on. Sadly I forgot to get a photo of them after they went in. After they went in it was just more fire management & cleanup until my relief started at 8am. All in all I had a good night & it was good to see the other side of how things run in a smokehouse compared to at home smoking. I certainly learnt a lot from this experience & really enjoyed myself.

• Looks awesome Steman, you seemed to be able to handle everything there, a lotta meat eh.

Is That a big offsett you're working with I take it, how long does it take to get that bad boy lit up and ready to put the meat on? I'd imagine in the cooler Months it'd take a while to come to temp and half a truck load of wood.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• This was utterly fantastic.

The thought of someone sitting there, overnight, taking care of the temp and the meat; after prepping it, bloody fantastic.

Next time, when someone complains about paying "omg how can they charge so much for some meat", I shall politely refer them to this thread.

And then I shall polietly waterboard them in the urinal of the establishment.

• I'm not sure on exactly how long it takes to heat up as the fire was still going when I was there but usually he starts at 5am & lights the fire then & by 6 the meat goes on so within an hour its at temp. Logs are 45cm long and about 2 arms thick. I was putting on 2 large logs one hour then flipping them & adding a smaller log the next hour to keep it sitting around 275.

I had to go in a week earlier to learn how he wraps everything so I could do it on the night. My god they go through a lot of foil.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• What a fantasic write up Steman, thanks for taking the time to show us all what you got up to that night. :clap:

It' seems very similar to Franklin BBQ but I think he wraps brisket in paper and the pork in foil, which is the other way around from what you describe happens at Frankies.

Love that smoker too. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I'm not sure on exactly how long it takes to heat up as the fire was still going when I was there but usually he starts at 5am & lights the fire then & by 6 the meat goes on so within an hour its at temp. Logs are 45cm long and about 2 arms thick. I was putting on 2 large logs one hour then flipping them & adding a smaller log the next hour to keep it sitting around 275.

I had to go in a week earlier to learn how he wraps everything so I could do it on the night. My god they go through a lot of foil.

That Smoker is a BEAST :drool:

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Great write up mate. Interesting that he leaves the silver skin on his beef ribs, I would never think that silver skin will break down... :shrug:

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Great write up mate. Interesting that he leaves the silver skin on his beef ribs, I would never think that silver skin will break down... :shrug:

I questioned it myself as well after learning he did it that way. But if you think about it as a restaurant cooking 8 racks daily having to trim silver skin will take a fair amount of time. I have tried it myself & if cooked long enough you don't even notice it. He usually cooks his shorties for about 10 hours so it gives plenty of time to render. I was dubious of it until I tried it. cook it until its finger tender & give it a go yourself.

• When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you had spent the night EATING at Frankies BBQ, which I'm sure would be an awesome experience (especially if you had eaten there last Saturday night ) ... but ... when I realised you were PITMASTER, what an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing. So awesome!

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• That Smoker is a BEAST

+1 The is an episode of the Smoking Hot Comfessions podcast with the buy from Bullockhead Ck Smokers who made this pit. In the interview, he talks about sleeping INSIDE the pit while he was building it.

WSM 18' Smoker (since Christmas 2019 = certified "L" Plater) / Everdure Cube / Gas 4 burner / Metters' Dover No. 7 Wood Stove

• Where in Brissie is this place...might have to pay a mate a visit soooooooooon :P

• I'd love to know what the temp difference is inside the pit from the firebox end to the other.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Davo It's on Stanley St, Woolloongabba about a 5 minute walk from the Gabba itself towards the motorway.

Gumb if the first bay is running at 275 the last bay is running about 175 but they only read the temp off the first bay & don't use any of the other temp gauges to base the pit temp off

matty funnily enough my wife did go there for dinner on that saturday night while i was trying to sleep lol. She had a monster beef rib for dinner. She only ate about 1/3rd of this & there was around 350g of meat left when she brought it home. So it would have easily been 500g plus of meat on the rib. the owner said that rack was absolutely massive & would have been 2.5kg

• Where in Brissie is this place...might have to pay a mate a visit soooooooooon :P

I can recommend this place all the way from Perth. It's on my list for every time I'm in Brisbane.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Did you rotate the cuts?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• I was thinking the same as Bentley, since the pit temp varied so much.

• Bentley Meredith No nothing gets rotated through the pit into different spots. the brisket takes the higher heat at the front as it can take it & the pork & shorties being smaller are further down the pit as it slightly cools. its probably only 15f different between each door. The last door doesn't get used at all unless the pit is absolutely full which i think hes done once.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!