Charcoal Prices

• So I need a new bag of charcoal, but am struggling to find anything at a decent price at the moment.

Where is everyone buying their charcoal from at the moment? WA in particular.

Maybe we need a roundup like has been going on with pellet prices in the other thread.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• I recently stocked up with 5 bags from Costco for $4.97 a 5kg bag of Pitboss Lump.

I think that special ran its course pretty quickly.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Yeah, I went and they didn't have any. Then saw some on the local Facebook page the next day ;(

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• It's all expensive at the moment unless you want the Thai stuff from ABR Charcoal in the Swan Valley (I picked up some of theirs the other day to try). BBQG got some Kamado Big Lump in the other day and it's shockingly expensive - almost $60 for 10kg.

I think that right now, the Everdure (Heston) stuff is actually not a bad deal simply because the price hasn't changed yet - $70 for 20kg, $35 for 10kg, and it's actually pretty good stuff if you don't want huge lumps. From the Big Green Shed.

Kamado Joe Big Joe III - Everdure Furnace

• Normally I get the Heat Beads lump from Bunnings, but have had a bit of a stockpile and only really need to buy some more now. Just realised it's gone up a fair bit ($60 for 20kg). I quite like it and it's convenient to just go to Bunnings, but has anyone tried the Pro Smoke stuff from BBQ's Galore? Similar price anyway I guess.

• Yes, like everything else, it has shot up in price, even those little red bags of Heat beads are over $12 per bag these days.

I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with 3 years of persistent La-Nina rainfall and that it has interrupted the charcoal making process, especially lump as the same that happened to Kangaroo charcoal some years back in Ballarat had all it's pits full of water, they have to be bone dry. It was where Weber got it's first lump supply back then. They've had a lot of rain up in Queensland & Victoria so probably why Mallee and Gidgee is hard to get and expensive. Couple that with high fuel prices and transportation costs....not a great time for us atm.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Where is everyone buying their charcoal from at the moment? WA in particular.

I sell the Charcoal Kings Tamarind, Aribica (coffee wood) and compressed logs and the Big Green Egg Hickory and Oak.

20kg for $65 is the going rate, I don't expect the price of charcoal to go down much now that the full tax is back on fuel and Putin is still being an ass!

• has anyone tried the Pro Smoke stuff from BBQ's Galore? Similar price anyway I guess.

Yeah, i use the 18kg bags of prosmoke branch. Price varies a lot; keep an eye on the bbqsg sales.

The 18kg bag is different to the smaller bags, which are chunks. Website says the smaller bags are acacia (last time I looked anyway) but doesn't say what the branch is.

The branch burns clean and does well with the fan controller but without it, if I want a hotter cook I chuck a few heatbeads lumps in with it just to help it burn. I don't know if that's just the branch size or a function of the charcoal itself.

• has anyone tried the Pro Smoke stuff from BBQ's Galore?

I have .... didn't think much of it to be honest

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• I used a bag on the spit before xmas it burnt well - did go thru 90% of the bag in 5-6 hours.

I think it was about $40 for 18kg - head beads stuff is about $60 now at red hammer for 20KG

Havent tried it in the Primo yet for low slow.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Just before christmas i had to buy another bag. it was 15kg for $59. Thankfully it was on special for 20% off. its getting to the point now where its going to be cheaper to just build a fire & wait for a coal bed to start the offset.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Where is Clean Heat Premium sourced ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Where is Clean Heat Premium sourced ?

From what I've just been reading it's Sth African Mopani hardwood and meant to be eco friendly. No idea to be honest as I've never seen/used it before, normally I use locally sourced mallee or acacia (gidgee)

Cheers Wolf

• We'll be interested to see what you think of it.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!