Fry pan replacement

• G'day all,

I currently have a selection of frypans in different sizes and materials, however I'm looking for some replacements and some new additions.

The non-stick ones seem to get the most use at home, but they don't seem to last very long. Despite my gentle persuading, there are some people in my household that insist on cutting things in the pan, or using them on high heat, which buggers up the non-stick coating.

I have a couple of stainless steel ones (both saucepans and frypans) but my wife is too impatient to let them heat up property before putting the oil and the food in, then she complains about the food sticking :doh: .

The Solidteknics pans are on the radar, as well as a few other carbon steel pans. I've also had a look at one called Hexclad, which seems to be a hybrid of stainless and non-stick. They make some big claims about being able use metal utensils and are cut proof 8| . The Hexclad are dear as poison though and I think they're only available from the USA, however there are also a few 'knock off' Hexclad types too, which are considerably cheaper but still seem to get good reviews.

My heart is leaning towards the Solidteknics, mainly due to being Australian made and they look to be good quality. I'm open to suggestions on other brands as well.

My hesitation is mainly due to my wife. She likes the non-stick pans, as they're easy to use and I don't know that she would have the care factor to look after a carbon steel or cast iron pan that could potentially rust if not looked after.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hexclads or their imitations?

How hard are the carbon steel pans to look after? Do they really require a lot of maintenance and care, or are they pretty hardy?

I'm sure that I'll come up with a few more questions later, but for now thanks for looking,

Steve.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• We have a set full of Solidteknics pans and the wok which my wife absolutely loves and highly recommends. We don't use any with teflon as she reckons it's bad stuff.

Stainless steel pans don't distribute the heat evenly like iron pans do.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• We have a couple of Solidteknics pans and recently the wife said "its rusting". bit of surface rust so simply rubbed it back with a bit of steel wool washed it up, coated in oil and into the primo at 200c for an hour just like CI. Back to normal.

Wife doesn't use them that much but I do when I cook in the kitchen.

Finish cooking, quick wipe with just water and then back on the Hot but cooling electric element spray a bit of oil in and good as gold.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• My wife uses those Tefal Stone coated pans and she loves them. We don't use teflon but it's that stone type non-stick which are much better than teflon.

She loves to get the high sided pans that look like a square bottomed WOK. It suits her cooking style she had when in Japan.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Beat me too it Jimmy70 , they are bit thinner so lighter, yet still hold heat really well. I have some of both (thin and original). I believe you can only get the thinner ones on Kickstarter).

The dual handle ones are great if you want to use them in a bbq as the long handle does not fit.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• For the last 2 years or so I've been using the Yoshikawa gogi heat treated wok and pan from Costco. Light, non-stick, etc.

I also bought (from Costco) the two stainless saucepans. Got rid of a lot of old pots and pans that used a variety of coatings that never seemed to live up to their claims.

Very happy with all of the Yoshikawa stuff so far.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I use Chef Inox black iron pans, you need to season them like cast iron (or Solidteknics) but they are cheap from Restaurant supplies and take a beating if need be!

Once seasoned properly they are as "Non-stick" as it comes! Heavy though, you'll need some wrist strength!

260mm with riveted handle will be $35

This is my 4 year old one, probably due for re-seasoning, 260mm, this one does all the "Heavy Lifting" in my kitchen.

• Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions, they've been really helpful. Thanks for the heads up Jimmy70 , I just pledged (is that even a word?) for a set of 4 long handle pans.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

Edited once, last by Lovey: Additonal info. (June 17, 2022 at 1:15 PM).

• Great choice I love mine - except when the mrs decides to wash them with hot water and detergent 🙄😡.

I think I may have finally told her enough times that she won’t do it again- or maybe that’s just wishful thinking 🤔

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Beat me too it Jimmy70 , they are bit thinner so lighter, yet still hold heat really well. I have some of both (thin and original).

What's the non-stick performance like? In their marketing they have a fried egg sliding off as though it's Teflon in the first week of use.

I've used cast iron and I understand how it's sort of non-stick but most cast iron pans are rough or have little ridges, so eggs have always stuck a bit.

If it's genuinely that good I'll pledge for a couple.

• These are smooth finish- and yes eggs do slide if you have them seasoned properly and apply a bit of oil/ butter .

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• It's all about the seasoning. Ours don't stick but we make sure we recoat them each time.

Online feedback from users suggests that the original, unseasoned and heavier pans are the best for non-stick.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• As I say I love the Oval for seasoning.

This is the CI grill for the XL and the Jr.

So much room and it seems to just do a fantastic job.

I have had both of my Fry pans in there with a handle facing each way.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!