Quick question on chuck roast

• Hopefully this will get seen in time!

I’m about to throw a colesworth chuck roast on the spit for beef rolls for the footy tonight.

I’m not sure whether to drag the cook out and take it to well done, or just spin it until medium rare and hope for the best?

I realise chucks a tough cut, but I’ve never attempted a slower cook on the rotisserie.

Any thoughts?

• I'd be only taking it to medium rare, slicing it very fine and importantly, against the grain.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I wonder if it will be chewy at medium rare? I guess cutting very fine will help (and yes very importantly against the grain). I'm torn between wanting to hear how this turns out and saying chuck needs to be well done.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Good point Waz but I was worried about the time and having not enough left to cook it slowly to a temp where it can break down a bit. But maybe go a bit past med/rare.

I think I'd cut a thin slice at that point and see how it was and go from there but it's the old story of doing it a lot earlier rather than trying to time it to meal time. Even the day before and reheat would be better.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• How long have you got to get it done ?

• So is it 4.30pm in the NT? If it's 50 IT already another couple of hours should get the IT to that 80 to 90. That should slice nicely for the rolls.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Sounds good.

• Ended up pulling it off at about 65.

Ran out of time and coals.

Jeez, you burn through the fuel, compared to a closed cooking technique though.

Came out pretty good though!

Nice and tender.

There’s definitely something about spinning, that keeps everything nice and moist.

The chook I cooked last week was moist as, the breast was still succulent, even after reheating in the pie warmer for smoko.

• Excellent result, well done and thanks for sharing.

• Beef and gravy roll, no salad, perfect footy food.

• That's in the true spirit of this forum. ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!