Brisket advice needed.

• As you all know I am no genius with Brisket having only cooked 1 in my time.

I purchased a 6kg full brisket online (I know I should have looked at it first).

The flat seems pretty thin so I wondering how I am going to go with that.

I intend to cook it on the DC at this point.

Sons birthday next week and he wanted it done on the GMG.

My concern is the Flat and it drying out well before the point is done.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I suggest cutting it in to 2 and doing the flat separately. Slice and bag (vac seal if possible) and it will come up a treat when reheated. I'd also do the point the day before so you have plenty of time to enjoy the party.

If you have a sous vide you are in business for easy reheating too.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• It sounds like you will be serving same day? Just cook it till the flat is done, separate it and hold it. It will stay hot for hours foiled and towel wrapped in cooler. Then continue to finish the point, at that point you are probably within 3 hours of it being done anyway. To me this way has the benefit of keeping the packer whole and you take advantage of the fat through the cut cooking into the meat. I am the kind of brisket cook who does not trim before cooking, you are just cutting off so much flavor. It will come off like Jell-o after the cook anyway! If you are in the camp that trims all the fat before hand, I guess you might as well just separate.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• I'm a fan of the Oakridge Rubs but we have a section with plenty of opinions (link below)

BBQ Rubs and sauces

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• So I am planning to cook this tonight on the GMG DC.

Will be using Lanes Combo rub.

Will put it on the Roasting Rack that I got from Bunnings thanks Gumb for that tip. Put a tray underneath to catch the drippings.

Will do an overnight cook, not going to separate Flat and point. Will cook at 200f overnight start at about 7pm and look at it in the early morning (3am) and go from there. Probably wrap and up the temp if needed.

I will be trimming the ends of the Flat that are really thin and having a think about what to do with them. Yes I will lose some meat but I am ok with that as they would simply dry out in any event.

I am not intending to trim any fat off of the Brisket at all and will follow Bentley Meredith process if needed.

Worst case scenario it will be posted under BBQ fails in here and we will order Pizza. :D

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Why not start it later in the night, say around 11pm and then check it early morning ? The GMG will look after it and you'd get some sleep.

Saves waking up at 3am.

• Sounds good, I always cook mine at 250f and they generally take anywhere between 10 and 14hrs.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Gumb was wanting / going to put it into the esky for a real long rest.

gourmetgalaxy thanks for the tip. Dont have a mincer but I guess I can use the Tefal companion :thumbup:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• I reckon the best rest for brisket is what Aaron Franklin does. He leaves it in the paper wrap (or foil if that's all you have) and waits until the internal temp drops to around 165f. He then unwraps and slices so you do have a couple hours to wait while it comes down in temp.

But the esky solution is good so you aren't worried about timing.

• Late to the party here, good luck. With Bentley above. Remove the flat when done. Wrap and pack with towels in an esky. Continue with point till done, wrap, put on top of flat then cover with towels in an esky.

If you kept the drippings, de-glaze with some wine, reduce some (salt reduced) stock almost to a jus, add to the wine, keep warm, and as you slice add to the reduction you have made go keep warm and moist.

Post pics.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• So wake up for 2.30am trip to the bathroom. ^^

Check the GMG app, yep 165f internal.

Wrap with some butter and then remember oh that’s right I have a rack of pork baby backs to do as well.

So as GMG is on the XL table will use XL for those. So ash basket out and shake. Plenty charcoal still there from last cook :thumbup:. Chuck a couple of chunks in and Light XL.

Prep porkies and membrane comes straight off. That’s a win.

Ok don’t really need grill until 6am leaving 6 hours for the porkies hmmm ok will use Smartfire and let grill get up to temp whilst trying to get some sleep.

Only have 1 PowerPoint and double adapter.

Grab GMG book out as forgotten how to do hot restart. :help:

Get XL and Smartfire setup, unplug GMG plug in extension cord, double adapter with GMG and Smartfire in. Turn on.

Hot restart on GMG yep that works, thank god.

Close XL lid and adjust top vent to a tiny amount open and head back to bed.

Open GMG app and realise oh OK pit temp defaults back to 150f following restart. Change pit temp to 225f.

Open Primo life (Primo branded Smartfire app) and set XL to 250f. Smartfire did a deal with Primo to be their branded pit controller.

Right all that’s done now can I get back to sleep. :shrug:

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Here’s a tip, write the hot start procedure down an d stick it to the underside of the hopper lid.

• Gumb yep I remembered that when I needed to do it. :doh:

So 7.45am and I probe flat seems ready point is at 195f and seems not quite ready.

So OK I need to seperate flat and point.

Turnover and unwrap and the whole thing wobbles. 8| Ok so get thermapen out and probe from top for Flat and Point and it’s like butter and wobbles nicely.

I didn’t bother taking off the silver skin on the bottom when prepping so assuming it’s that.

Ok it’s done then based on that. 195f in point and 205f in flat.

Wrap back up and then inside some more paper and into the esky for cutting later at lunch time.

Wife says gee your early. I simply replied at least it’s ready and we won’t be waiting for it to be ready or rest so stop wingeing :D

Put Porkies on at 6.30 so 5-6 hours on them and I am done for the day.

Wazza pics to follow when sliced.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Sounds good. Don’t forget a couple of pics when you slice it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!