Lamb Shoulder - Ideas Please

• So I have this 2.7kg lamb shoulder with bone-in and we want to cook it for dinner Sunday night (which is tomorrow as I type this).

The wife has found a recipe she'd like to try but because it's calling for the shoulder to be foiled, there's no point in using the Big Green Egg or the Asmoke pellet cooker.

It does say uncover for the last part and I could do that in either BBQ but I'd prefer to put it in the Egg uncovered from the start and maybe use the ingredient mix by putting it all in a roasting pan with the shoulder. I normally don't like using pans of any sort and would rather get that smokey goodness all round the meat but I'm willing to try it this time in the pan.

The aim is to have it tender and falling off the bone but not shredded like I do with pulled pork.

I could start early and cook all day but if it's uncovered in the pan would the basting mix add any flavour ? It certainly would if it was completely covered.

I'm thinking uncovered for a bout 4 hours to get some colour and then put it in the pan as per the recipe and cover it up but would the meat be basically sealed so the ingedients add no more flavour ?

Any other ideas or suggestions ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I would put it in a pan with some liquid. Orange juice and chicken or beef stock, cook uncovered @110c till where you want it. it will pickup some smoke. If the skin is getting a little tough then just cover the meat only.

Good luck.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I've got the BGE going at around 220-230f and put the shoulder in at 1.30pm looking to boat it around the 4 hour mark. I put a smoking tube with applewood chips in there too.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Got the boat ready too.

and after 3 in the Egg hours it's looking OK

• It came out great ! Not completely falling apart but tender and juicy. The internal was around 185-190f depending on what part I probed.

In all it was 4 hours uncovered in the BGE at 220-230f

Then an hour in a boat with the mixture and in the oven at 170c. (pic is when it's ready to make the boat)

After an hour we were getting close to dinner and it was still around 160-180 in parts so I took it out and wrapped it tightly in foil with some mixture poured in and put it back in the oven for an hour 170c.

Then it was rested for a short time and unwrapped.

This is just before boating.

Ready to slice

And the final pistachio/honey dressing added.

and served

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!