Are we seeing the start of the end of things like big, juicy thick steaks on your bbq?

• I was at the butchers the other day deciding on something for dinner. At the same time I was thinking about having to mortgage the house to afford the idea of having some large, juicy steaks.

It got me thinking are we in the process of changing like some other countries where meat like beef is very expensive and people generally eat smaller cuts of meat.

With that in mind, could we be the last generation to throw a steak on the Q?

• Yeah as I'm not currently working and living off savings, I too am facing this same situation. So until things settle down, I intend to use smaller BBQs more often like my Jumbo Joe and use it in the Japanese Yakiniku style where thinner slices of meat are grill over hot coals and basically eat it from the grill. The same with Vegetables, lots of sliced vegetables like zucchini, onions, carrot, pumpkin slices, eggplant slices, capsicum slices, asparagus, they use them all over there and it can be a decent meal. Chicken slices especially thigh pieces are still at reasonable prices. Maybe it's a lot more economical to buy a beef roast and slice it up thin and place over hot coals for just a minute or two on each side, Pork scotch fillet roasts sliced up in another alternative. There's so many alternatives to thick steaks but maybe if things don't get much cheaper, I think you'll find smaller BBQs or even those that are portable like the Jumbo Joe, GS or similar. I love Veggies on the grill as much as I love meat....also with a good hotplate, grill some Soba or Singapore noodles, fruit too taste good from the grill but the days of big brisket might be dead.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• No, in my opinion.

Everything goes in cycles, we are in a cycle where massive stimulus around the world is biting. Australia is getting hammered by overseas costs inflating on us big time. We have had it pretty good for a very long time. I do think things will cycle.

I still manage to hunt down steaks, admittedly ones I need to do the work that a good butcher would have done, and I'm feeding a big family with all my teenage boys in sporting squads so they eat like you wouldn't believe.

Well, my fingers are crossed anyway.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I generally buy half an Eye Fillet from Costco and slice that up myself.

I agree with Wazza we are in a cycle that we haven’t seen for probably 20-30 years with interest rates increasing etc….

I am sure all of us in here remember the days of 17% interest rates.

Credit cards were something like 25% if I remember right :/

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I don't think so. I'm still seeing uber eats or door dash packages overrunning our roads and footpaths, which tells me that the modern version of doing it tough is quite different to past versions. Or at least that not everyone is doing it tough.

I buy the Costco tomahawk steaks for around $40 per kilo (or I get similar from my local butcher at a slight premium) and it's a meal for the whole family once you surround it with a couple of sides.

Not an everyday meal, but good for once a week and better than home delivery of fast food at about the same cost.

The lamb box at costco still seems good value despite the 10-15% increase as well. Pork ribs have only gone up a couple of dollars per kilo...

Don't know guys, to me it seems that we're just experiencing some higher than normal inflation and we're not used to it any more.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• $50.00 a steak for one night or $50.00 diesel in my tank...

I've got places to be.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I remember as a boy the price of lamb was worth nothing, and wool was worth nothing. In fact the price for a sheep was so low the farmer would be sent a bill for transport if they sent the sheep to market, ie the transport cost more than the sale price of the sheep. And the farmers were still faced with the high cost of feeding them.

So the front end loader dug a big hole in the paddock, a temporary pen was set up next to the hole with the sheep put in it, and the sheep were shot then tipped into the hole and it was filled over.

That scenario must seem unbelievable now, and I'm potentially on the younger side of members on this forum, so it wasn't that long ago really.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I remember as a boy the price of lamb was worth nothing, and wool was worth nothing. In fact the price for a sheep was so low the farmer would be sent a bill for transport if they sent the sheep to market, ie the transport cost more than the sale price of the sheep. And the farmers were still faced with the high cost of feeding them.

So the front end loader dug a big hole in the paddock, a temporary pen was set up next to the hole with the sheep put in it, and the sheep were shot then tipped into the hole and it was filled over.

That scenario must seem unbelievable now, and I'm potentially on the younger side of members on this forum, so it wasn't that long ago really.

Yeah Wazza I remember that too mate, back in the mid 70's my Uncle up in Glen Innes use to breed and shear sheep and I remember him having to send a truckload of sheep to the Inverell sales yard and only got 55cents per head, barely covered the transport cost but it was in the middle of a drought. The shearing shed still stands but I don't think it's seen an animal besides Possums for 4 decades now.

I'm glad for the farmers getting more per head but when a friend of mine in Japan can buy Australian lamb cheaper than we can, then I get my back up.

Davo

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Yeah Wazza I remember that too mate, back in the mid 70's my Uncle up in Glen Innes use to breed and shear sheep

My story is from late 80's, possibly early 90's.

when a friend of mine in Japan can buy Australian lamb cheaper than we can, then I get my back up.

Yeah, me too, and I don't get how?

• Ooh! now that would be nice :yum) Hard to find in QLD sadly.

I've seen them here, but $30+ per kg.

As a kid we'd shoot our own for dinner.

Funny story, I was a kid on the spot light, Dad shooting, rabbit ran away from us and Dad got him. When it came to skinning I could see the exit wound in the chest, but couldn't the entry point..... from a rabbit that was running away from us.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!