Most expensive Heat Beads

• I was looking for some heat beads and found this on ebay.

Anyone found Heads Beads for a higher price or have I just found the most expensive Heat Beads to buy.

• I was looking for some heat beads and found this on ebay.

Anyone found Heads Beads for a higher price or have I just found the most expensive Heat Beads to buy.

Tell him he's dreamin' :D

On saying that though, have you noticed how pricy those 4kg bags are now getting in Coles/ Woolies, crikey they are up around $12 a bag.

I've been buying the Kingsfords ago from Costco, and whilst I didn't give them a good review some time back, I'm starting to like them again primarily because they are made from real charcoal. I still love the heatbeads for their durability and usually buy them from Bunnings in the 7.5kilo bags.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• G’day

I really like the smell of heatbeads. The smell to me is Bbq. Hate to admit it but I bought my first kettle in 1980 from the PX in Hawaii. 42 years ago ouch!

Got a new acorn jr kamado and it hates heatbeads and snuffs out really easy. I’m learning to like lump charcoal now.

Regards Dave

• yeah i think lump is more to go with Komado type cookers, although I thought perhaps the acorn not being ceramic, might have been a bit more forgiving. So....lump it is Cobbler....

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• G’day Davo

Heat beads in a bullet smoker…. Legend….. 20 hours and still cooking. The acorns insulated and preserves the heat so the air flow is tiny. The heat beads literally suffercate in there own ash.

Regards Dave

• Cobbler, when I used to have my WSM, I always did the Minion method but unlike they show today, whereas they place a hole in the centre and allow the fire to burn outwards, I found it was better to load the hot coals on top and allow the coals to burn downwards, besides getting more time with a load of coals, I found it wasn't chocking with ash as much, but as I'm not experienced with a Komado style where perhaps the oxygen availability may be so low that only lump has the ability to keep some burn, also I think with most lump, as it burns more readily than a briquette fuel, tends to get hotter in the core of the fuel more readily so it's probably this reason that lump may keep going. So the reason for Komado's for being more fuel efficient is that the lump might be the only fuel that is within a whisker of choking as well due to the minimal oxygen in the cooking chamber and the fact that due to being insulated, will keep the lump hot enough. Considering the way Lump charcoal is made, it's ability to smoulder for long term is evident, just like in a bushfire, a breeze comes along and it sparks up again. So it's definitely the core of the coals being wood and non-compressed like a bead, it can continue to burn internally.

• So the reason for Komado's for being more fuel efficient is that the lump might be the only fuel that is within a whisker of choking as well due to the minimal oxygen in the cooking chamber

Another reason briquettes don't make sense to me on a kamado is because they don't re-use as well. With lump I just shut it down and it goes out. The remaining fuel can be used next time - I mostly just add 3-5 lumps for each cook, or if it's a quick sear or something maybe nothing new at all. Whereas briquettes just seem to end up a mess of ash and half-burned brittle crap that breaks up and falls through the basket when giving it a stir to let the ash drop.

• briquettes just seem to end up a mess of ash and half-burned brittle crap that breaks up and falls through the basket when giving it a stir to let the ash drop.

From the head beads website on what they add to the hardwood charcoal to make the briqettes.

How are Heat Beads® Original Briquettes made? – Heat Beads®
    Find out what goes into making Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes. The high quality and composition of our briquettes makes cooking safe, easy and odourless.
    heatbeads.com.au

• Another reason briquettes don't make sense to me on a kamado is because they don't re-use as well. With lump I just shut it down and it goes out. The remaining fuel can be used next time - I mostly just add 3-5 lumps for each cook, or if it's a quick sear or something maybe nothing new at all. Whereas briquettes just seem to end up a mess of ash and half-burned brittle crap that breaks up and falls through the basket when giving it a stir to let the ash drop.

G’day

Yep tried coconut heatbeads as well. Much the same result. They may be half burnt but they crumble and aren’t useful after being in the heat. Definitely sticking with lump it can be snuffed out and re lite many times. Can’t believe how much charcoal I don’t use and the ash left is minimal as well.

Regards Dave

• I found the Akorn Jr so efficient when I had one. The only issues I had were making sure I had enough small blocks of lump for it. I ended up just keeping the small lumps aside and using the bigger lumps in the XL.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Briquette, especially the pillow shaped ones, will always crumble after being lit and extinguished. It is because the material is carbonised before being formed (eg coconut charcoal). The material that holds them together is only a small percentage of the total mass, and gets burned up pretty quickly. Sawdust briquettes hold up a bit better, as there is no binder ingredient and they are extruded before being carbonised, but it comes down to how much pressure was used to extrude the briquettes. Lump will always hold up better than briquettes, though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!