Canadian Style Maple flavoured Bacon

• G'day Folks,

A week and a bit ago the wife and I went to Costco who had a tri-pack of Canadian style Streaky bacon, but the smell of Maple Syrup was quite over the top and dominated the taste of the bacon itself. I cooked some with eggs the other day in the kitchen but again, the smell of maple syrup was dominant and you could smell it in the house for days after.

Today I cooked the other 2 packs out on the Jumbo Joe kettle, it was still pretty strong but at least being outside didn't take over the house, so while I like Bacon, this was just a trial to see if we liked it and while it tasted ok, my wife commented that she felt it couldn't really be used for much else and with other foods we normally eat so I don't know if I'll ever buy a flavoured bacon again.

Even on the grill pan in the BBQ, I could smell the Maple syrup but not the bacon itself.....different for sure but not really for Australian tastes I feel.

Davo

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• Had it at breakfast place once and it’s not for me. I don’t like sweet things and when it’s added to a savoury dish for me it doesn’t work. The kids on the other hand love it we went away on the weekend and they had waffles with ice cream and bacon for breakfast.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Yes it's obviously in the curing process that they smother the bacon with Maple Syrup but it comes out much too strong.

The bacon is an imported one either from USA or Canada and I'm guessing Canada. Not sure what area of the US would use Maple Syrup apart from maybe somewhere near the border of Canada. Maybe Bentley might know.

I guess like Bduza dribbling a bit if Syrup while cooking but I think it's a bit strong and sweet for the Australian pallette.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• The bacon I make at home the most and the most popular amongst people from my work (who I give it out to) is a maple cured bacon. It's only slightly sweet and doesn't smell like maple syrup when you cook it.

They must use A LOT of maple syrup in the curing process.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• The bacon I make at home the most and the most popular amongst people from my work (who I give it out to) is a maple cured bacon. It's only slightly sweet and doesn't smell like maple syrup when you cook it.

They must use A LOT of maple syrup in the curing process.

I think the Canadians bathe in maple syrup :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!