Wood chips vs wood pellets

• I accidentally bought wood pellets for my master build electric smoker. Would it cause any problems using them even tho it says not to. To only use wood chips.

• I wouldn't use them in a masterbuilt.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Does it list a reason why you are not to use wood pellets?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Are we talking about the upright Masterbuilt where you put the smoking wood in a tray?

I can't see why they would say not to use pellets? Pellets will work fine.

The only thing I can think of is that some pellets (for pellet heaters) are not food safe!

• Interesting take on pellets! Never heard the 1st one! You consider a 15 hour cook short?

Wood pellets are generally used for pellet grills, which have a very low temperature and extra-short cooking times...

...since the pellets are less likely to produce the kind of flavors you'd get from wood chips or chunks.

Of course, if you don't mind a bit of a funky flavor...

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Timorthy was a dodgy user that has now been banned.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Pellets of good quality are perfect to add in a variety of situations. In a WSM, Kettle or BGE I place a few wood chunks but also sprinkle some pellets about for a slow but consistent production of smoke as the lump burns across. Also great for cold smoker devices when mixed with finer and course saw dust. The smaller dust seems to keep the smouldering going smoothly. But on a tray being heated up, Pellets are perfect.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!