Table top grilling

• Just fired up my latest table top grill. Cast iron non stick with fine sliced rump and vegies, light marinade of soy, salt, pepper and oil. Sitting on portable gas cooker. 1st up bought the smaller grill plate in picture and worked so good bought the bigger one. Both will work on fire, gas and convection and big plate came with 250mm steel legs to go over a camp fire. With the curved shape oiled the surface with pieces of fat from the rump and as you cook the fat, oil and juices run to the middle. big grill plate cost $62.00 and small one $32 both on Ebay wife has claimed the small one as a great looking serving plate.

• I think this style is like teppan (hotplate)

Yaki as in Grilling, it's like the Teppanyaki from Japan without all that utensile juggling entertainment.

You place small morsells of meat or seafood on a really hot plate.

Did this a fair bit in Japan as well as Yaki-niku which is usually open grilled meat and veggies and even rice cakes.

I love this type of cooking and have moved away from low n slow to eating from the grill.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I think this style is like teppan (hotplate)

Yaki as in Grilling, it's like the Teppanyaki from Japan without all that utensile juggling entertainment.

You place small morsells of meat or seafood on a really hot plate.

Did this a fair bit in Japan as well as Yaki-niku which is usually open grilled meat and veggies and even rice cakes.

I love this type of cooking and have moved away from low n slow to eating from the grill.

We have also moved away from the low n slow to this style of cooking. I still love the taste of low n slow but for me it was a fad. My kids love the teppan style food (incl vegies) and as any parent knows getting kids to eat vegies is a real struggle so this is my go to method.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• My Thai Mrs and her friends love their ‘Thai BBQ’s’

Theirs usually involves a hot plate, with a moat of stock around it that is used to cook the veggies and noodles.

It suits their culture of sitting around talking shit and grazing all day!🤣

I like it, but I’m too impatient to wait for each piece of meat to cook! And I can’t understand a word they’re saying. Which I think suits them just fine! Haha!

• I feel your pain lol. I'm a bit of a fish out of water in Japan at times when everyone is talking like a machine gun, I can't keep up ^^

Low n slow doesn't really exist much in Japan, it's either pan fried or grilled.

Noodles are great stir friend on a hot plate with a sauce in my Mrs makes, then stir a heap of veggies and bean sprouts in, it's great with grilling thin pork and chicken slices....

Oh well...we love the girls for a reason lol 8o

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I remember these from Thailand. Some have holes allowing flames, others are more like flat hotplates. The ones I tried were over gas but I found a picture of a charcoal unit.

Kind of cool but awkward to use. I love the concept but I reckon it's easy to just have a hotpot and a hibachi.

• Yeah, similar to that. There’s a few different types.

The one they use here is electric.

I agree, I’d rather cook on the Hibachi over coals, but living in Darwin, these girls have been spoilt by mod cons like air conditioning. They don’t want to sit around a hot bbq outside anymore!

They’ve come a long way from their upbringing of life on the farm at Nakhon Nowhere!🤣

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!